The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wound of history: Tiananmen Square massacre > Comments

The wound of history: Tiananmen Square massacre : Comments

By Chin Jin, published 4/6/2009

Exactly 20 years have elapsed since the Tiananmen Square Massacre took place on June 4, 1989.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
As Chair of the Federation For A Democratic China in Australia Chin Jin, I truly appreciated your essay and I agree it is "Time for a democratic China", that China has a 'historic opportunity for political change' and the world needs to watch carefully at the ' rise of an autocratic China' given China fails to openly address her Human Rights Record, and fails to address or free the political prisioners, who have all risked their lives to stand up for a greater China.

While I am at it, I thank the world media, all citizens everywhere, who make a point to do something constructive to recognise the shock and saddness of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre
on this day.

History repeats, unless we learn from it.

Chin Jin, you are right as are the words you chose, to reflect an outcry at the then Chinese leadership, to bring a fresh recollection of what happened but what is being hushed, in China itself.

Blindfolding us, you expect us to see nothing,
Plugging our ears, you expect us to hear nothing,
Yet the truth is in our heart,
The pain is in our chest,
How much longer do we have to endure?
How much longer do we have to be kept silent?
If tears can wash away all dust,
If blood can exchanged for freedom,
Let tomorrow remember today’s outcry,
Let the world see the wound of history.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Thursday, 4 June 2009 4:49:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is a pleasure to see articles of this sort and the support that it engendors.

And thinking of Tibet recently, it occurred to me how relatively wise and egalitarian/equalitarian their recognition/belief that their Holy people can arise from even the materially lowliest of families.

I saw a report here recently of an interview with a member of the military who participated in the massacres. Something he said made me think that the chinese military actually considered regime change, but must have declined.

And a report some years ago, that stated that military from outer regions had to be brought in as the local military were unwilling to participate. I know not the truth of these things though.

Again, as in other parts of the world, it continues to amaze me how quickly the abused become the abusers, often out of notions that they must protect themselves from others. And indeed, the chinese were abused by the japanese and the english were they not? How much they were abusing each other at various times though is something about which again I am unaware.

It is something that should be studied from a perspective beyond culture, religion and race, i.m.h.o. It seems from one side of the globe to the other, many of us have been and are guilty of this.
Posted by DreamOn, Thursday, 4 June 2009 5:53:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I feel that the more our media concentrates
on issues like the tragedy of the Tiananmen
Square massacre the more they will exploit
the insecurity that China feels. We can't
afford to have a veil of silence shroud
this tragedy - because in China itself
news programs and Internet sites covering
this subject are being blocked.
Western democracies are afraid of offending
China - but its the western media that owes a
moral obligation to never tire of telling the
truth and setting the record straight.

What is needed is that the Chinese people living
in the West need to both educate and break
through the veil of silence that China is
trying to impose on the tragedy of their homeland.

By making appeals to political and religious leaders,
world organisations and institutions (like the UN,
The International Court of Justice in Hague, Human
Rights Organisations), to governments of free countries
for help in restoring human rights, this will counter
the facts that China is trying to hide.

As the old proverb says:

"No, don't! Don't dig up the past!
If you dwell on the past -
you'll lose an eye."

But the same proverb goes on to say:

"Forget the past
And you'll lose both eyes!"
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 5 June 2009 1:24:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Remember Rwanda?

1 million dead.

Turkish Armenia - 3m dead.

etc

Get some perspective.
Posted by Democritus, Monday, 8 June 2009 1:57:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy