The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Museum of Australian Democracy? > Comments

Museum of Australian Democracy? : Comments

By Peter Vallee, published 19/5/2009

The new Museum of Australian Democracy in Canberra is not a museum, it is a doctrine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It doesn't sound like something to be proud of. Nor does it sound as though it is worth a visit.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 19 May 2009 10:25:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very Canberra.

Very self-indulgent.

Very other-peoples-money.

Very out-of-touch.

Very PC. (To the point of self-parody, judging by this article.)

Very wasteful.

Very Canberra
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 19 May 2009 1:54:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Periclea,

Very well said.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 21 May 2009 10:44:35 AM
I thought it a little strange myself that this 'sudden' change from OPH to the Museum of Australian Democracy at OPH (or MAD House) seemed to come about without much fanfare or consultation. I guess they had to do something new and 'tourist attracting' with it after the Portrait Gallery moved out and this idea celebrates both the history of democracy and also the ongoing process of participation and protest etc.

And I love the fact that this blog AGAINST the creation of the new museum, is in fact exactly what the museum of democracy is about: people's right to comment about and/or try to change decisions by those in power. And by using whatever means they can (e.g new technologies such as online forums and social networking sites etc).

I saw lots of buses there yesterday and I think it's a great idea (as are the proposed future exhibitions and the writers' festival in July), very educational for our young people and great for tourism. It might just need a year or so of operating before it is able to communicate to people what it is about.
Posted by canberra lover, Friday, 22 May 2009 11:21:45 AM
Christianity is democracy. Do we need a museum to remember we had it once?

The Constitution of Australia guarantees democracy, by its S 79, which has courts, uncapitalised and judges (plural) uncapitalised. Throughout Ch III Constitution the only time a Capital Letter is used, is when a place is described. The Federal Supreme Court and High Court for example.

All Judges and Magistrates are delegates of Almighty God. Almighty God gave us democracy when He sent Jesus Christ to teach us its principles. Democracy is not compulsory voting, democracy is voting as one of twelve disciples of Jesus Christ calling down the Holy Spirit, and doing the will of Almighty God, on earth as it is in heaven. A proceeding in a court is an act of worship, if the court is democratically convened. That is, it has a Justice, not a Judge as president, and twelve members of the community sitting on the right hand of the Justice ( Father) to fulfil the promise in Luke 12 Verses 10-12. when the verdict is given, the promise of Jesus Christ that the truth will set you free, is carried out. Verdict means a declaration of the truth. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord, and that was why from 1297, a jury did all sentencing. Democracy is not served by State vengeance.

Since the Habeas Corpus Act 1640 16 Charles 1 Ch X, any undemocratic proceedings in any Court has been void. The Australian Courts Act 1828 is still in force, by S 11 Australia Act 1986. These enactments are still in force in Victoria and Victoria is in Australia.

Without going to the Museum of Australian Democracy I will not know if it recognizes that Democracy was killed in New South Wales by the Supreme Court Act 1970, in the Commonwealth by S 39 Federal Court of Australia Act 1976 and in the High Court by S 77A Judiciary Act 1903 so we need a museum to remember what it was like.

Time after time I hear people say that until 1970, democratic Australia was a great place to live
Posted by Peter the Believer, Saturday, 23 May 2009 8:35:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I read the transcript of the “Kable Principle” case, conducted in the High Court on 7th December 1995, I was amazed to read the discussion on court. The High Court Justice McHugh, accepted that the Parliament of the Commonwealth is a court. On reflection, it is really a Church. Like many churches it starts each service with the prayer from Matthew 6 Verses 9-13, and another prayer, and the silly Political Party that voted against the prayers, no longer has one member in the Parliament.

In a democracy with a two party system, there are two sides, and often the twain do not agree. The majority bullyrag their legislation through, as did Little Johnny with his IR Legislation, but in a true democracy, man proposes and God disposes. Even the Roman Catholic Priests accept that proposition.

From the time of Henry VII the democratic process derived from the Holy Bible was gradually introduced into England, and the Government had to use the common law courts, democratically convened to enforce its judgments or legislation.

The first democratic court to refuse to do Parliament’s will was in 1670, when William Penn was indicted for preaching the Gospels, in the streets. A Jury refused to enforce an Act of Parliament and British democracy was vindicated. In 1770, a Lord Chatham described British Democracy, as having courts to winnow the good legislation from the bad, and said Parliament can be a tyrant too.

It is really bad, that democracy is dead in Australia. We have to put it in a Museum. It should have a picture of a Justice and jury, sitting in civil jurisdiction, so we can remember democracy. Democracy should be a living breathing thing, still vibrantly making Australia a great place to live, free from unjust laws, and bullying lawyers. Maybe with the resurgence in learning spearheaded by churches like Hillsong in Sydney and Brisbane, and the other churches that benefit from its National Conference every year, we will see democracy rise from the dead, just as Jesus Christ did, with the realization that jury trials are democracy and Christian
Posted by Peter the Believer, Saturday, 23 May 2009 9:04:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey PtB, does the term "Single Issue Fanatic" ring any bells with you?

Thought not.
Posted by Pericles, Saturday, 23 May 2009 2:40:19 PM
Being stuck mentally 400 years BC must be a pain. The biggest issue facing Australia today is the death of democracy and the installation of Periculean government by one man or woman. If a person wishes to play the man instead of the ball that is okay, and call another person names, that is also okay, but it would be nice if he was able to rebut in detail, and spent as much time checking out the indictment, as he spends on rubbishing my posts.

I always reckoned Judges and Magistrates had to be mental misfits, to think their one head could replace the wisdom of twelve people, and that they expect to be respected and almost revered makes me want to throw up. I have seen over seventy of them in action on various occasions, read thousands of words of their supposed wisdom, and in the past forty years, see clear evidence of the breakdown of commonsense and decency all around me.

Pericles ruled as a virtual dictator for thirty years, and his stimulus package, was one of the reasons Athens was renowned for its beautiful architecture. Christianity abhors dictators, and Jesus Christ established the rules for democracy. In Periclean times, everyone got a vote, and there were little round stones, some with holes in and some without, but otherwise identical that were used to vote with. The voter had two and by holding the stone with a finger and thumb, the voter was able to hide the way he voted, so having anonymity.

I have documented the mental retardation of Judges and Magistrates in many posts, and cited in detail, their manifold sins. The Museum of Australian Democracy should have a copy of the Supreme Court Act 1970, from New South Wales on display, because that is the document that killed democracy, followed closely by the Federal Court of Australia Act 1976 and High Court of Australia Act 1979. When seven mental retards can get away with directly contradicting S 33 High Court of Australia Act 1979 and the Australian Constitution democracy is dead.
Posted by Peter the Believer, Sunday, 24 May 2009 12:13:55 PM
Nice try PtB.

>>If a person wishes to play the man instead of the ball that is okay, and call another person names, that is also okay, but it would be nice if he was able to rebut in detail, and spent as much time checking out the indictment, as he spends on rubbishing my posts<<

The only problem with this, as you well know from long experience, is that your response to any questions about your ideas, views, suppositions, extrapolations, conclusions and diatribes is to completely ignore them, and carry on as if those questions had not been asked.

Your attitude has been absolutely consistent.

Remember our little disagreement on Magna Carta?

I asked at one point that you...

"Quote me one single line from either that supports your - quite ridiculous - claim that:

>>The Magna Carta is relevant today because the Constitution is a contract<<"

You blustered on a bit about contracts ("Every time we buy a loaf of bread we make a contract" was a classic), and how God is included in the Constitution through the Queen, but consistently refused to give a straight answer.

Finally it was left to Oliver to point out that "true histiories do not support your argument. Nor would any contemporary theology."

The "Single Issue Fanatic" label is not necessarily pejorative. If you believe in something strongly enough, that's what you become.

But along with the enthusiasm often comes a single-minded determination that yours is the only possible problem that the universe faces...

>>The biggest issue facing Australia today is the death of democracy and the installation of Periculean government by one man or woman.<<

...and that's when the fact that you refuse to enter into any discussion on your ideas gets just a little bit annoying.

Incidentally, how does "Periculean government by one man or woman" relate to twentyfirst century Australia?

That's a test, by the way, to see whether you are able to enter into a normal discussion, or whether you will simply carry on repeating the same impenetrable charge-sheet against the judiciary.

Have a great day.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 24 May 2009 3:34:31 PM
Thank you Pericles, you at least ask intelligent questions.

The Original Pericles suffered no dissent and governed as a despot for about thirty years. Before 1970, anyone could, as we can in OLO start a discussion, but in a grass roots political meeting, get a fair just and impartial adjudication team of twelve, and get a binding decision from that team, on the issue in hand.

The government of Australia is in the hands of little Pericles clones, since the Supreme Court Act 1970 and Federal Court of Australia Act 1976. Democracy is dead. It is no longer possible to get a fair just and impartial adjudication team, made up as in that great democracy the United States, of 12 subjects. We have government men sitting on the benches as Judges and Magistrates in every Court in Australia. In two jurisdictions they say you can have a jury, but never offer choice.

God is included in the Constitution because the Queen is mentioned 40 times at least in it, and She must bow to Almighty God and take an Oath to him. The Periculean delegates who sit in Her Place in Court, bow to the State, so they have no chance of being Christians. They defile their name every time they sit.

Twenty first century Australia is a vile wicked place, where the government steals without redress, taxes unjustly, destroys lives without due process of law, has armed and dangerous enforcers, raised by State governments illegally, a Federal Government that has been derelict in its duty to uphold the Constitution and in the process killed democracy and installed Roman Catholic style government by quasi Priests in Capital C Courts. I am totally and completely convinced of the evils brought about by the lack of choice of mode of trial. At the risk of losing my posting rights, for another 24 hours, I am going to use my next 350 words, to point out to you and anyone else who reads this, exactly how Democracy has been murdered. It was not killed in one foul swoop, but by incremental cuts
Posted by Peter the Believer, Monday, 25 May 2009 3:50:02 PM
There have been many posts here about Religion being a scam. Many have criticised the inquisition, with just cause, but as a business it has been wildly successful. Just look at the assets accumulated by the Roman Catholic Church, over the centuries. For example by enslaving the Mexican Indians, the Roman Catholic Church was able to take a share of the enormous amounts of gold and silver that have left Mexico in the past 400 years. Read Mexico by James Michener to see what Roman Catholic Government has done to that country.

Sometime between 1939 and 1949, a plot was hatched to make Law a religion, in Australia. Before 1949, it was the Crown, which as representing Almighty God got all the revenue generated in all courts. Note the small C on courts. This made lawyers who worked there jealous. Why should the Crown get all that lovely money, while we do the work for peanuts, they reasoned.

The row between England and Rome was all about money. The Roman Catholic Church, was extracting enormous amounts of money from England, with its vast estates worked by virtual slaves, and by selling indulgences, a get to heaven free ticket, to sinners. An indulgence was cashable in a court, because the courts were all run by Churchmen, before 1215.

The English wanted to keep their money home, so they made the Magna Carta which we argued about earlier, so that the church could no longer sell get out of jail free cards, but 12 disciples of Christ drawn from the local community, decided both guilt and punishment. Rome hated that.

My beef with all who take a State Licence to practice law, is that they are members of a monopoly State Church. To continue to hold it they must lie and cheat. Paul Keating’s government abolished this monopoly and made all lawyers and Judges, criminals in the Criminal Code Act 1995 ( Cth) . Look up S 268:10. You will see that anyone who exercises ownership over another human being, as Judges and Magistrates do, is liable for 25 years jail
Posted by Peter the Believer, Monday, 25 May 2009 4:13:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy