The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What should a real Labor Budget look like? > Comments

What should a real Labor Budget look like? : Comments

By Ken McKay, published 15/5/2009

The first Labor Budget of the Rudd Government is one of missed opportunities, is one that is timid and mediocre in nature.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Lets cut to the chase : Are we going to allow this free wheeling Govt to go to a mid term election without asking WHO is and HOW is the Debt they have racked up going to be paid ?

Alco Pops .
I have 3 teenagers , now I have bottles of "Yeagermyster" close to 40% proof in my yard they use a thimble and skull it then flush it down with a shot of coke . In my humble opinion a highly unsatisfactory and anti-social drink , not to forget expensive . They were on alcopops and I didn't have to collect our towels from the yard or clean up the vomit .
Posted by ShazBaz001, Saturday, 16 May 2009 12:13:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So what your saying shaz is that we should remove drinking laws for teenagers but only for low alcohol drinks. Something to think about I suppose. It could be seen as a form of harm minimisation. Just like they do with drugs and needle exchange etc.
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 16 May 2009 5:43:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The failure of the Howard/Costello government during the boom period in not increasing the superannuation guarantee levy to 12 per cent

You’re kidding, more burden for business. You know, if the wage earner were to have contributed just 3%, the same net result would have been achieved.

I have no problem with any increase in super, providing the wage earner contributes equally.

Banking
A ‘transaction tax’ would solve many problems.

Negative gearing
You can’t remove negative gearing and retain ‘capital gains tax’. You will end up with a lack of investors in the market which will result in less investment properties thus increasing the rental crisis.

NG is less attractive in low interest periods anyway.

Speculators/investors are in a commercial advantage to first home owners who are often competing in the same market
Yes, but with 20 grand less in their pockets.

Change taxation rules for future purchases so that costs associated with investment properties can only be deducted from income generated from the investment. Therefore the costs of borrowing could only be deducted from the rental income. With the exception of investment in new housing units (houses, apartments, townhouses, and so on).
Which will increase the benefits of negative gearing. It’s a bit like a ‘dog, chasing its tail’ hey!

As for 'alco pops'
I to have teens and I think alco pops are the best alternative for the young ones. At least then they are consuming a measured dose of alcohol each time. Most of them have no idea how to measure a drink. Furthermore, they know exaxtly how much they have consumed when drinking aloco pops as oppossed to mixed drinks.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 17 May 2009 7:19:03 AM
What a collection of all the crack pot financial ideas in one post.

Resource taxes, Transaction taxes, and nationalising banks.

All have been done and have had disatrous consequences.
Posted by Democritus, Monday, 18 May 2009 8:42:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy