The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tactics in a cosmic war > Comments

Tactics in a cosmic war : Comments

By Reza Aslan, published 5/5/2009

The United States and Islam: ending the 'war on terror' starts with dropping the phrase and addressing deeper issues.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I don't believe President Obama when he says "Never be at war with Islam" I think he was having a bad moment .
Yet he was partly brought up in an Islamic State , he must realize some of the tenants of Islam can only be acceptable if we all become Muslims , hardly likely you would agree .

The problem is the difference between Islam and all the other faiths that makes the divide so profound .
When you consider the Irish issue , quite for the moment , the difference between the two faiths , both Christian is really subtle when compared , yet the Orange and the Green fought for 400 ? years !
That they both were financed from all over the world demonstrates the breadth of hate supporting that "WAR".

When you consider what the Islamic sects or states do to each other is mind boggling , recall the Kurdish woman sitting in the snow , her dead children wrapped in old plastic the live children in her lap wrapped in corrugated cardboard on the border of Turkey and Iran photographed by National Geographic some years back . So much for the wonderful beautiful Humanitarian Faith called Islam . They can't even look out for their own .

Oz to date has been Lucky compared to other countries , how complacent are we , because we have not been involved in Warlike acts within our borders maybe we are somewhat complacent because it seems to me that the refugees desperately breaking through our northern barriers seem to have the same arrogance and dynamic contempt of their brothers they left behind , how are they refugees , what they escaped from they have brought with them .

Cont'd
Posted by ShazBaz001, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 1:26:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oz to date has been Lucky compared to other countries , how complacent are we , because we have not been involved in Warlike acts within our borders maybe we are somewhat complacent because it seems to me that the refugees desperately breaking through our northern barriers seem to have the same arrogance and dynamic contempt of their brothers they left behind , how are they refugees , what they escaped from they have brought with them .

What Obama didn't say was that his country is working frenetically to get out of the Islamic States with their monopoly with oil . Here the USA is advancing tech in Bio-Gas , CNG etc , American citizens are using wood gasification now more sophisticated than WW2 Gas Producers to run cars trucks generators etc . This tech is carbon friendly also . Corn produces alcohol and Biomass methane carbon monoxide and hydrogen . Good by Middle East
Posted by ShazBaz001, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 1:34:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"...religion is once again becoming the primary marker of identity in all parts of the world", God save us, if that ever becomes true.
Posted by mac, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 3:35:27 PM
Sad as it may be against the wishes of many people, the religions of today have no credibility and are behind just about every conflict on the planet.

It's becoming painfully obvious the god these people so fervently believe in doesn't exist, so they are typically fighting amongst themselves in the hope they will be right in the end.

God help us? it should be, god will destroy us just as he seemed to do in all the old testament. When I read that and then tried to read the NT, I was convinced it was a very evil belief and that's been justified in the work I do. The big majority of those seeking help to overcome their depression, frustration, anger and complete confusion, are all religious people.

I wonder why there are so many articles revolving around religion, could it be they are trying to find some semblance of credibility or hope someone will come up with answers they can hold onto, other than their straw man god
Posted by stormbay, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 4:39:09 PM
Stormbay,

Religion is not behind every conflict on the planet. The economy is.
One side in a conflict is invariably disadvantaged economically or educationally, or both. Neither are the combatants in a conflict examplars of their "religion" in any way.

Also, the Old Testament should be viewed as Mythology, - poetically embellished, and written well after any event occured. In many ways it is not unlike Greek Mythology.
Posted by Istvan, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 7:04:33 PM
Reza Aslan’s article states>---- that America must stop looking the other way as America’s dictatorial allies in Jordan, Egypt, Morocca, and Saudi Arabia suppress democratic movements in their countries. Just how is America supposed to force these leaders to promote democracy? Didn’t they just wage a war trying to do this very thing in Iraq for which they have been condemned by the muslims.

I see what you are getting at though,I think the West would be much better off butting out of the affairs in other countries every time there is bloodshed somewhere. It holds back reforms and progress that can only be bought about by the people in these countries living through times of great upheavel , war and bloodshed . Democracy only occurred after centuries of the same in the West.

However you cannot have it both ways. If America butts out,then it must also stop restraining the Israelies and the Palestinians and let them fight it out.
Posted by sharkfin, Tuesday, 5 May 2009 10:34:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy