The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > As climate warms, species may need to migrate or perish > Comments

As climate warms, species may need to migrate or perish : Comments

By Carl Zimmer, published 6/5/2009

Global warming is pushing some species to the brink of extinction: the only way to save some species may be to move them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All
Let's try another approach. Through your links I was curious to read about the build-up of naturally occurring toxic compounds in rotting backhousia leaf litter. I also read a list of natural foods that are unhealthy for parrots. Let me be clear: I don't know about this stuff (perhaps there's an ornithologist out there), but my curiosity got me wondering if it wasn't relevant. Could the series of droughts (not anthropogenic as falsely claimed by Poisonas) have forced the species to eat too much of this substance? I reiterate that I don't know, but if I had the time I'd love to inquire. I may be off the beam (off the branch), but the POINT is that if I made the claim that this is what caused the "sudden decline" of the Paradise parrot, I would need to provide evidence - that the birds did eat the stuff, that it is toxic for them, maybe droppings analysis, toxicology tests on closely related species, etc. You would be right to ask for this, and if I couldn't (and I can't) provide it, I would be quite happy to acknowledge it, and that the reasons remain "speculative".

The vast majority of extinctions on this planet occurred before humans came along. It seems ludicrous to me, therefore, to think that the small number that have occurred since HAVE to be attributed to mankind, and that previous reasons are somehow no longer possible. Why shouldn't a species die because of eating the wrong food? Getting a disease? Contrary to Poisonas's apparent view, there are naturally occurring substances toxic to particular species (try eating a wild almond if you doubt it). Extinction happens!

Lastly, just for your interest, I will point out there are examples of species believed extinct being rediscovered, eg. the New Zealand storm petrel after being thought extinct for 150 years!

I hope you consider some of this substantial. Personally, I consider 'unsubstantiated' claims, and the failure to acknowledge them, to be 'unsubstantial'. And already rue the abundance of this on OLO.

X for now!
Posted by fungochumley, Wednesday, 27 May 2009 8:29:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy