The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We shouldn’t be grieving for the death of newspapers > Comments

We shouldn’t be grieving for the death of newspapers : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein, published 17/4/2009

It’s difficult to feel sorry for old media companies that failed to adapt quickly to the Internet age.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Antony - Don't know what to say except that I agree with you that the new media provide scope for honest, and even passionate debate outside of the usual trappings of power. I wish I could attract more readers to my blog (Left Focus) - but your example - in the blogging world - shows you it can be done. Keep at it. :)
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Friday, 17 April 2009 7:57:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Claps all 'round Anthony.
I enjoyed your article and I applaud your conviction.

One question though - and I apologies in advance for my ignorance:
In a world so full of 'Chinese Whisper' reporting, how does one know (or) identify genuine information, be it via blogs or any other method ?
Posted by JosGar, Tuesday, 21 April 2009 12:41:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I agree with much of what is said here...I really like newspapers for no other reason than they are tactile things. I can do the crossword (I like the act of writing on paper - it's just me I suppose, but it gives me a connection with the words and it is aesthetically pleasing), take the paper anywhere - it doesn't need power, it doens't weigh much, I can fold it up, etc. I rarely go anywhere without a writing pad and a newspaper - they encrouage me to relax and take my time, rather than rush.

I use the internet as much as anyone, but there is more to newspapers than their content.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Wednesday, 22 April 2009 1:56:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy