The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Baby boomers will not go quietly! > Comments

Baby boomers will not go quietly! : Comments

By Natalie Verdon, published 9/2/2009

Baby boomers want to go out having as much fun as they had when they were here.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Good on you Natalie. The article wandered a bit but I got it. It's an ad for your product. No drama there.

I would have concentrated more the the most excellent idea of cardboard coffins. There's a chap in Lonsdale South Australia who is making them and can't make enough apparently. They cost $250.

The babyboomers - god love them. They will leave this world a little warmer due to their rampant consumerism and the fact that under their watch, there were more limited wars than at any other time in human history. But I like 'em. I don't know why, I just do. Except sometimes the men look silly when they shave their heads and wear black. A small crit.

Keep up the good work.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 9 February 2009 10:19:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cheryl, "The babyboomers - god love them. They will leave this world a little warmer due to their rampant consumerism and the fact that under their watch, there were more limited wars than at any other time in human history."

Ho hum, more intergenerational jealousy and sledging and to what end?

You would prefer world wars? If you consider the span of the boomer birth dates, maybe you will find that most were too young to vote and anyway, most would have downed a vial of poison before they would ever have supported the conservative governments that volunteered Australia for the subject conflicts. "All the way with LBJ?", not bloody likely. "All the way with Gearge Dubya?" Hey, didn't you hear my first reply?

As for consumerism, they would not hold a candle to generation X or Y. If Boomers splurged on their ungrateful children it was because most had quite lean childhoods themselves and wanted to ensure that their children didn't suffer from similar deprivation.

Have a talk with your mum or grandmother and find out how things really were and maybe read some old newspapers.

As for the Boomers deciding to have lavish funerals, I suggest that most are so concerned about their children that they would want something modest. On the other hand, perhaps the guilt and extravagance of their children might be expressed in expensive wakes. After all, wakes are for the living and the dead don't care. Then again, any money wasted on Mum's or Dad's funeral is all the less for the latest electronic gadgets or trip somewhere, right?
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 9 February 2009 3:15:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"They will leave this world a little warmer due to their rampant consumerism"

Yes those selfish, consumerist pigs,

working to stoke the appetites of their self-entitled and self-absorbed rug-rats

the BB's have spent more than any previous generation, buying things for their name brand-fixated kids

I wonder who Gen X and Y etc will find to blame when us BBs have shuffled off our mortal coils?

I used to own a retail casket store in USA... my wholesaler had a "Harley" casket, externally lined in black leather, the handles being made from the screw-on/off footrests off genuine Harley Davidsons.

What a Hoot.

and btw, dont bother with a sealed casket. they work like anaerobic digesters and after a couple of months you turn to somehting which looks like soup.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 9 February 2009 3:50:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy