The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Green to the very end > Comments

Green to the very end : Comments

By Kevin Hartley, published 11/2/2009

A lot of people think 'green' funerals are the only way to go!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
If I had my druthers, when I go I would prefer to be discreetly integrated into the existing process which puts out blood-and-bone fertiliser; while those who are so inclined gather together in other, cheerful surroundings, to close off with frank discussion my tenure as a human being.
Posted by colinsett, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 9:46:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the previous comment. Green funerals are the way to go. The loss of habitat for beautiful animals who share this planet with us is a source of grief to me. I welcome any solution that promises to lessen human impact on the earth. It's a pity however, that I may be dead before this becomes a reality unless I contribute my mite to furthering the cause. So, where do we begin?
Posted by MaggieS, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:12:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought the ultimate for the green deceased was to be buried with the backside above the ground, so that environmental cyclists could use the new departed as a bicycle rack.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:27:41 AM
Being an (unofficial) Secular Humanist, I’ve already opted for when I do finally give up this mortal coil the remains are promised to the local teaching hospital for the apprentice surgeons thus giving ‘surgical practice’ it purist meaning. Apparently they want cadavers with real pathologies; lamentable as I get older I seem to be collecting then like stamps or seconds at a not so fine porcelain factory (misspent youth or dodgy genes?).
After two years they have a memorial service and cremate what’s left and give it to the family to?
In this way even after death I can continue to instruct (albeit passively) the younger generation…thus making my suffering and death meaningful. :-
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:33:44 AM
As I understand it, after donated cadavers left to universities have been used, they are returned to the family of the deceased. I agree with examinator. This would be doubly useful. I had already considered bequeathing my body for such use. With a natural burial ground added to the equation it becomes even more desirable.
Posted by MaggieS, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:44:37 AM
I liked the first cardboard coffin/death story but three in a row looks like carelessness or a campaign.

I'm not sure if these people are sending OLO readers a message - do you really think us babyboomers are going to die? Never happen. We're not only here for a good time, but a long time.

And we're going to start procreating all over again. Starting tonight!We have the technology. I want to see the earth's population get BIGGER.

This is good news for the 'cardboard-box-fundamentally-ching-ching with-one-hand-taking-the-money and the other making with the touchy-feely White Lady approach (don't call us undertakers).

It's all very confusing.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:48:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy