The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Barack Obama is not Jesus Christ > Comments

Barack Obama is not Jesus Christ : Comments

By John Passant, published 22/1/2009

Rudd’s election was marked by hope. But like HowRuddista here, President Barack Obama may end up as OBushama.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
The article, like most that seek to influence, implies that "if only we did this and that, things would be better". This is the simplistic notion that the whole political process is built around. Has the author considered that what we do as individuals or even as political groups never has the intended consequences any more? That while what we do may be good for us as the originators, our professed political aims are just a means to an end and shouldn’t be taken at face value?

At least Howard was honest and understood this when he said "the times suit me" after getting into government. The truth is there are a large number of highly-fluid forces and interests in play that are all jockeying for position and will fill the breach when they have an opportunity or when it is their turn. As they say, "there's nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come". Given that ideas can be completely independent of politics, what does this say about the validity of the political process?

It's amazing how an idea that was held as a central tenet for a long period of time can be overturned and replaced with something else at the blink of an eye.
Posted by RobP, Thursday, 22 January 2009 9:24:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Barack Obama is not Jesus Christ. He does not say that only through him can one enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Unlike Jesus he will listen to others and not claim his is the only way. In his inauguration speech he mentioned unbelievers. He does not demand belief in his ideas. Unlike Jesus in Matthew he does not resign himself to saying that the poor shall always be with us. Obama as a community organiser has worked with poor to help them change their status. Unlike Jesus Obama has lived in many societies and has a grasp of different social milieus. Obama is a real person rather than a mythical figure like Jesus.

In comparing the two I much prefer Obama.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 22 January 2009 10:22:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'In comparing the two I much prefer Obama.'

No doubt as a man of sin and corruption Davidf, you would choose Obama above Jesus. Hopefully you will have your eyes open spiritually and you will see your own foolishness before its to late.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 22 January 2009 11:02:18 AM
Dear Runner,

How do you know I am a man of sin and corruption? You are just blasting a person you don't know who might be leading a more decent life than you. You apparently lack any tolerance for those who don't believe as you do. Is it possible for someone who does not share the nonsense you believe (at least it is nonsense in my view) to be a good person?

Jesus said to look at the beam in your own eye rather than the mote in your neighbours. Please try that.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 22 January 2009 11:18:59 AM
Barack has given an inspirational address to the American public and the world community. Time will tell if he institutes a radical and overdue overhaul of the way their economy and society operates. He certainly touched on the things that must happen for change to occur - the most important being people power and looking to science for solutions. Of course the pressures to be 'an intelligent Bush' will be immence.

I would not right off Obama after just one day in office as it could be a master stroke in taking some of the experts in the failed financial, environmental, military, health and education systems and re-chanelling their considerable knowledge and expertise into new, innovative, equitable and sustainable solutions. This is my great hope.
Posted by Quick response, Thursday, 22 January 2009 11:25:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Unlike Jesus he will listen to others and not claim his is the only way.....

Unlike Jesus Obama has lived in many societies and has a grasp of different social milieus......

Obama is a real person rather than a mythical figure like Jesus."

davidf, if Jesus is a mythical figure, how did he do all of the above? He either did the above or he didn't. It seems you think he was a mythical figure. So in the interests if consistency, your comparison is void. If you believe that Jesus is a mythical figure, then you don't believe that he did any of those things.

However, would you like to provide some kind of evidence or backing to this statement that Jesus is myth?

After all, it's a statement that not many educated people in that field (historians, New Testament scholars) even take seriously. This is of course because it's a statement based on imaginative speculation and a sole focus on certain parts of the body of evidence, combined with either ignorance or gross distortion of the larger body of evidence.

There's another difference I can think of between Jesus and Obama.

Jesus died, then conquered death by rosing again. Obama hasn't died yet, so we'll have to wait and see whether he can do the second part. But I suspect we'll be waiting a while, unless those right wing extremist whites get their way. So for now, Jesus wins the comparison hands down
Posted by Trav, Thursday, 22 January 2009 11:51:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy