The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Get off the Gunns merry-go-round > Comments

Get off the Gunns merry-go-round : Comments

By Bob McMahon, published 21/1/2009

The pulp mill is a symptom of a deep-seated disease: it is looming as a symbolic battleground for Australia’s future.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Sadly the point is swamped by the emotional rhetoric and self serving logic at the end. The key issues as I understood it from this piece are:
• This project is being kept alive by political interests than commercial ones. Isn’t public pressure part of if not the purest example of capitalism in action?
• One should be concerned by the level of financial subsidies from government.
• I would like to see an objective and complete cost benefit statement for the project as a stand alone without subsidies. Rather than reports based on narrow legalistic defined parameter investigations that yield statements like ‘world’s best practice’. Given the state of the world a vague statement like that is hardly comforting.
• Millions of acres of fir trees are hardly ecologically sound. Heightened fire risk etc. Given the short growing cycle as opposed to the long cycle (nutrient cycle.) of native hard woods one is entitled to ask how long before adverse effects on the soil etc.
• Then there’s the political evaluation (as opposed to the scientific one) that to off set dirty industries we start a sunset extraction industry that adds toxic pollutants to the environment and its compete carbon footprint hasn’t been fully evaluated. Will the inputs really net meaningful results?
• Will the project really benefit the country to whereby the investment (subsidies etc) is worth the investment and priority not political ones?
This is not or should not be a politically manipulated issue. It should be determined by objective facts and take fully the displacement and impact on the locals and the environment. Then and only then should the project proceed.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 21 January 2009 9:39:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator, as one who has been closely following this issue for years, I'd say without fear of contradiction, that there is no "emotional rhetoric" involved; rather a dispassionate summary of the reality, thaat could have been fleshed out with extra space to explain the role of a motley constellation of vested interests across the Tasmanian and national political and commercial spectrum involved in the whole sale looting of Tasmania.
Secondly, the political parties are undeniably indoctrinated in laissez-faire neolib political theology, although the more opportunistic see its real role as an an alibi for rank expediency. The likes of Abetz, Gillard, Brumby and Robin Gray valorise "whatever it takes", in the cause of obtaining support from powerful local and offshore commercial interests, regardless of whether the schemes damage other Australians and Australia or not.
I hope the scales fall away from Mill proponents eyes before its too late. Another disastrous, toxic white elephant foistered on Australians for the sake of a few greedy, criminal
rent-seekers, is the LAST thing that interelative ecology /economy needs at this time in global history in its attempts to provide us with a sustainable, civilized existance.
Posted by paul walter, Wednesday, 21 January 2009 1:24:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul I think you have a good point. The "Neo Liberal" philosophy is no such thing. It is just an umbrella term for "expedient and self-serving".
Like Jonny Howard and his "dog whistle" speeches, most neo-liberal acolytes use the dishonest rhetoric of straw men and "everyone knows".
Back to Gunns: I saw my local creek and hills trashed by plantation pine. My favorite yabby holes turned stagnant and the bushland ecosystem trashed for the lifeless monoculture of pine. After two crops the land will be worthless because the soil is ruined by pine trees. This was in North East Victoria. All of this for tax free "investments" for the elite. Yes this is an emotional thing, but there is no way I'd support this happening on a much larger scale.
Posted by Ozandy, Wednesday, 21 January 2009 3:01:24 PM
From where I sit, it sounds like a lot of activist opposition to me, rather than public.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 21 January 2009 4:04:15 PM
Paul Walter.
The last four paragraphs were pure rhetoric and the last well, any more emotion and a bucket of water would have been needed.

Having said that I clearly stated that I understood the point and advocated accordingly.

The combative approach could have been avoided but that is what you get with a government that has too little to deal with. I would like to see objective reason prevail.
I further criticise the Federal Government for not earmarking/encouraging for more sunrise industries to Tassie.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 21 January 2009 5:32:25 PM
As a resident of SW Tasmania I haven't really been on the wavelength of Tamar Valley people until today's shenanigans in the Florentine Valley. It is now clear to me that the forestry industry is deluded and corrupt. Corrupt because they use the police force to protect environmental vandalism and deluded because they think what they are doing is sustainable and carbon friendly. In my opinion those old growth forests will never go back to what they were and the damage is irreparable. The plantation industry seems better at generating tax deductions and inflated carbon credits than in creating replacement timber. Their win-at-all-costs mentality is going to backfire on them
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 21 January 2009 7:46:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy