The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Equality in the age of human capital > Comments

Equality in the age of human capital : Comments

By Don Arthur, published 14/1/2009

The increasing interest in human capital has had a profound impact on the politics of egalitarianism.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Interesting essay but I dont really get the point of it.

By contrast this reference http://www.morrisberman.com argues that ever since the Reagan years there has been a systematic dumbing down of USA culture altogether.

This reference also argues the same thing, but from a completely different perspective. Namely that every aspect of USA "culture" is a systematic assault on the latent/inherent/intrinsic psycho-biological integrity of the body-mind-psyche of its members, and ESPECIALLY its children. http://www.metahistory.org/BioTranscend.php

I dont agree with everything the second author has to say in this book, but taken altogether the books that he has written provide an interesting commentary/critique of Western, and most especially USA "culture". And a brilliant discussion of the extrardinary potentials latent in our genetic patterning or our psycho-physical structure---our mind-brain-heart nervous system.

This fits in with my favourite Philosopher who points out that the key to understanding human culture altogether is psycho-biology---anatomy. It is thus also the key to the evolution of human culture altogether.

Everything we need to flourish and grow as a species is latent "within" our body or our mind-brain-heart nervous system.

Our spinal line with the brain at the "top" is the Tree of Life.

The question is how do we cultivate this tree.

Currently most of our "culture" is a systematic assault on this tree--or more accurately a demolition of what we latently and potentially ARE as human beings.
Posted by Ho Hum, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 10:58:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Years ago I used to believe that humans were gradually getting smarter. Then they voted George W. Bush in. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm also unsure about anyone who asserts -- without evidence -- that less educated people are less happy. Perhaps the animal pleasures of chowing down on fast food twice a day plus a quick death at sixty actually beat the intellectual delights of listening to Mozart as you sip pabulum in the Home For Retired Gentlefolk. Who can say otherwise? And I see a certain irony in urging poor folk to make sacrifices which will extend their lives, while admitting that their lives aren't much fun anyway.

The key concept here, I think, is expectations. If you grow up believing you will be a great success then it hurts like hell when you're not. If you grow up thinking of yourself as a disposable cog in the wheels of society then maybe you don't mind so much when that's what you turn out to be. Perhaps we should aspire to a society based on the principle of equal contentment rather than one based on the principle of equal opportunity.
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 1:11:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jon J, poor is a relative term. I've spoken to villagers from other cultures who have told of how they sometimes feel their lives are 'meaningless' and aside from working the fields they watch TV in a cold brick one-roomed house and that's it.
They burned cornstalks to keep warm, and aside perhaps, from a few years away in the cities, those were their lives.
One day they'd get married then the process would repeat.
Some get more education, and thus get more opportunities.
Some might romanticise this kind of life into something more than it is, but most of these people have a burning desire to escape such a life.
I can't blame them, and I can only feel grateful for the opportunities a first-world education has provided.

That's looking at it from a global perspective - from an Australian perspective, I'd think you'd also find many of those from poorer areas do dream of improving their lot in life. Being more educated doesn't automatically translate into elitism, nor quaffing burgundy while listening to Monet.

It just translates into more opportunities, which can scarcely be anything but beneficial.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 15 January 2009 2:28:41 AM
I like this article and it makes some good observations. My main criticism seems to be the emphasis and idea that human capital is mainly tied up in the individual. An individual on their own has little human capital. We gain our wealth from our cooperation and interaction with others.

We are like a colony of ants or of bees. Our wealth and sense of purpose and meaning comes from what we do together which comes from our ability to communicate and cooperate first for ourselves but also for the common good.

By concentrating on the ways we interact and communicate with each other and making it easier for each of us to contribute is likely to lead to "better" outcomes.
Posted by Fickle Pickle, Tuesday, 20 January 2009 6:23:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy