The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Coalition: a misunderstood political entity in universities? > Comments

The Coalition: a misunderstood political entity in universities? : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 12/1/2009

Finding a balance between compassion and competitiveness is important for any sophisticated society and liberal democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Chris,
Not bad at all. Well done a very readable, measured and reasoned piece especially given your Labor sensitivities.

I think you went some way to addressing one of my biggest bug bears that of the standard left/right ideological either or, ‘welded on' mentality of politics.

So much time and effort is wasted asserting the differentiation it seems to me that the real goal "fitness to govern" is lost in the 'noise'. Choices are made too either too selfishly or simplistically, who tickles my hip pocket nerve best (short term mentality) or who's minders are the best at the PR game (Popularist politics aka Mob rule).

I agree academics are partially to blame with their idealized perspective of political gardening (Concentrating on the flowers) while ignoring the less attractive human motivation (pragmatism) to do the work.
I also think you could include
• The politicians’ ( self centred ambitions)
• Party politics tendency towards the lowest common denominator.
• The media whose head lines are sensational and tend to have the depth of the media they physically appear on (paper or screen)
• Business’ excessive selfishness and indifference to the people in favour of endless growth.
• And people for their laziness/selfishness to allow the above and not complain enough.
Perhaps in a follow up you could address the Australia’s confused attitude to the point of a nation in that we are fiercely nationalistic yet we most often don’t see past our own interests to the detriment of the nation as a whole.

Cheer
Examinator ant
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 8:00:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator

You make some good points which I will take up in the future.

On Line Opinion does provide an opportunity for some excellent comments to be made from readers which should stimulate any commentator's thinking.

Are you sure you cannot offer On Line Opinion an article by yourself?
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 8:27:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Exammy

you said:

the real goal "fitness to govern"

HUH?...errr.. *scratches head*

I'd say that is the 'romantic ideal'...but the reality is that politics is about:

-Which side of town get's the freeway....
-How schools are funded....
-Where certain 'major projects' are located...
-How tender processes can be manipulated such that 'our' supporters can get in on the first floor....
-Getting 'our' version of morality in place....

a) Can we murder unborn infants/give mothers 'choice'? (depending on your perspective)
b) Can men and women go against all that nature teaches and establish sexual relations with their own gender/Equal rights for all

and so it goes.

So.. I'm rather cynical about all the parties. (and the voters)

The real problem of course is our own hearts.. we vote with one hand in our hip pockets and feeling how thick or thin our wallets are.....
while our other voting hand selects the box which will give greater thickness.

Chris...why use the word 'progressive'? That is usually associated with left wing issues. Abortion, Assylum seekers, Gay rights.

I feel a more suitable word for the pressure and direction generally supported by the left is 'regressive' not progressive.

There is nothing 'progressive' in a positive sense about those things except in the sense of moving down the highway to hell one kilometer after another.. I guess you can technically call that 'progress'.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 4:39:45 AM
Polycarp

You said
"why use the word 'progressive'? That is usually associated with left wing issues. Abortion, Assylum seekers, Gay rights".

I suppose I should have suggested that policy debate has resulted in a polcy mix supported by most Australians including "Abortion, Assylum seekers, Gay rights".

Fact is some are upset by recent policy trends, although many Labor and Coalition supporters would support all of the above. Fortunately, debate in Australia has resulted in a relatively peaceful acceptance of such issues on both sides of politics in Australia when compared to the US where cleavages between Republicans and Democrats have been much more extreme.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 6:44:02 AM
The tract record of Federal Coalition stinks to high heaven,it has shown it over the years when in government.So to back up my reasons here goes.First they never ever did anything of value to assist the real owners of this land,and that my fried is not fiction but fact,however for me to describe it detail is non applicable,the present plight of the owners of this land cane be seen when one travels this country.Issue number two ten pound Poms and White South Africans could come and go as they like,wereas a non white family,if accepted had to pay their fare to come here,and no refund was given to them?that is a fact that can be proven,and there are many Poms here that came on the ten pound plan are still living here,but never became Australians,just had themselves absorbed into the rest of Australian society,not fiction but fact.Fact number three,they the Federal opposition always stood on the side of the big boys of trade and industry,to the detriment of the battlers the working family,and as the case was proved when John Howard even cemented his approval with the introduction of his law now famous the Work Place Agreement,which resulted in a complete wipeout of these oppressors of the working class,may they remain in the wilderness for the next 25 years,for the good of all Australians
Posted by Baas, Monday, 19 January 2009 1:10:57 PM
The track record of Federal Coalition stinks to high heaven,it has shown it over the years when in government.So to back up my reasons here goes.First they never ever did anything of value to assist the real owners of this land,and that my fried is not fiction but fact,however for me to describe it detail is non applicable,the present plight of the owners of this land cane be seen when one travels this country.Issue number two ten pound Poms and White South Africans could come and go as they like,wereas a non white family,if accepted had to pay their fare to come here,and no refund was given to them?that is a fact that can be proven,and there are many Poms here that came on the ten pound plan are still living here,but never became Australians,just had themselves absorbed into the rest of Australian society,not fiction but fact.Fact number three,they the Federal opposition always stood on the side of the big boys of trade and industry,to the detriment of the battlers the working family,and as the case was proved when John Howard even cemented his approval with the introduction of his law now famous the Work Place Agreement,which resulted in a complete wipeout of these oppressors of the working class,may they remain in the wilderness for the next 25 years,for the good of all Australians
Posted by Baas, Monday, 19 January 2009 1:12:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy