The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The China house of cards - a 2009 scenario > Comments

The China house of cards - a 2009 scenario : Comments

By Arthur Thomas, published 12/1/2009

What is in store for China in 2009 and what will be the global implications?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I found the article amazingly biased towards talking down the accomplishments of China. The attitude of them being replaced by
Russia as world economic leaders was perhaps a little "wishful thinking" in nature. A certain racial bias was evident throughout
the article. However, many points are currently true.

One which I believe to be totally incorrect is that China cannot survive without overseas exports. Quite incorrect China works
towards a totally self sufficient economy whereby China can dictate
its own terms outside its own boundaries.

Civil unrest is not a common factor in China despite Teneiman Square
of twenty five years ago. Chinese prefer to work together than against one another which is counter to the procedures of many Western Nations. ie, The US OF A has groups who would rather WIN
than see their Nation advance in other than the direction they want.
This attitude strangles any Nation and the Democracy Flag lays limp beside the flag pole when China begins to do this.

Re returning workers. Most of them stay put apart from African
employees who return home mostly. However, Africa is expanding in
these harsh economic times and so employment becomes possible in two
years time for all workers in Africa.

Basically an analysis of the China situation. Performed with bias and
some prejudice. I enjoyed it. My comments are my own.

HDuggin
Posted by Hduggin, Monday, 12 January 2009 2:28:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hduggin,

What racial bias? The author was commenting on the disfunctions typical of an authoritarian state,particularly the unreliability of official statistics,and the resort to brutal oppression when the ruling elite is threatened. How can any nation have a totally self sufficient economy in the modern world? When I was at business school in the early 1970s, Japan was in fashion and on its way to be No.1, no one thought of India or China or Russia.

Arthur Thomas,

Interesting comment about Russia, during the Cold War some Western observers of the Soviet Union thought that if the Communist government was replaced with an authoritarian capitalist regime, Russia would be a far more formidable rival to the US.
Posted by mac, Monday, 12 January 2009 4:29:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
China cant be trusted.
She ran over her teenagers in Tiananmen Square with her tanks and then went about trying to get the nations to forget she had done it.

A friend whos brother is in the ANZ bank says that Chinese will gladly keep agreements between themselves... but if the crunch comes will fail to honour agreements with Europeans.
I think right now, today, China is involved in a huge secret arms build-up, bigger than observed by the USA, as part of her plan for an outward march.
I wouldnt buy anything she says. What comes out of her mouth is not what shes thinking.
I dont think shes fogotten the Opium Wars and this is part of what its all about.
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 12 January 2009 4:57:10 PM
The writer is making some fairly biased comments here..

The “illusion” the article refers to is created by people who willingly buy into such concepts. The matter of the fact is that China is a developing country and the national savings that are counting into the trillions is due to a propensity of the population to save, rather than spend as we do here It is a choice that we all make. There are no illusions about what these savings are for. Comments such as “China's money was for China and China alone.” Is uncalled for and undemocratic. Western capitalism has always been about reward for hard work and individual decisions.

The writer has a problem with cheaper goods and efficient production practices, with concerns over oversupply of goods and jobs being “taken”. Chinese production has kept prices low and all of us simply need to pick up our game at innovation, better production practices, and constantly improving.

While not discrediting the article on commentary on social impacts on the environment etc I noted that the author has not considered all sides of the coin, which make this piece biased. The very essence of China’s competitive edge is the low labour cost. The author has not offered any real solution in regard to what he criticize as the problem, particularly in light of his concern over unemployment exacerbated by the GFC. Issues of this nature are commonplace in developing world.

It is really too early to say that consumers are moving towards eco-friendly products. It is still price driven in the supermarket aisles, for most.

Without taking sides I find it interesting the way the authors have identified losers and winners of the GFC. The cost advantage has not disappeared as a result of the GFC and there are cycles in the economy. Nations can develop comparative advantages Economies grow with good fundamentals and growth in capacities. And the key to this is capital investments including education. This is something that Chinese are good at. The author is unnecessarily taking sides, rendering the article biased.
Posted by Goku, Monday, 12 January 2009 9:47:56 PM
Just once I would like to hear Arthur acknowledge any of the positive moves China has taken, or acknowledge the giant leap which has occurred since opening and expansion 30 years ago. Actually, after reading each one of his successively more negative pieces, I would now settle for any indication that he is even au fait with events from within China.

This time I got as far as "the economic failure of the Olympic Games" before I realised that neither of the above would be presented. Even a nod towards the use to which not only The Birds Nest but other Olympic venues have been put and the income that has been generated from this post-Olympic re-cycling, would have done it for me in this case.

My consistent complaint about these pieces is that no provenance is ever given for much of the material that is presented as fact. For instance I would genuinely like to know the who and when of this: “China’s claims that it can maintain a GDP growth of 8%...” because even before the proverbial hit the fan heralding the current Global recession, every economist I ever heard or saw here was in fact warning of the unreality of such expectations.

But this piece is written a little more carefully at least: each dire (to put it tactfully) forecast is prefaced by conditionals: we MAY YET find evidence of all sorts of tactics which in turn MAY prove just about everything China says to be illusory. Unemployment figures COULD push to 12%. Then again, they could push to 7% or 20%. In exactly the same way that many people have been pointing out for years that current unemployment statistics in Australia COULD be bogus and exclude people who work only two or three hours a fortnight.

I also think mention of many of the innovative steps taken since supporting Kyoto worth a mention.

The fact that the first hybrid car is on the market has got to earn at least one brownie point.

And public Government acknowledgement of Tiananmen Square?

Surely that’s a biggie,too?
Posted by Romany, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 4:01:47 AM
Its not wise to be a China lover Romany.
In Europe/England there were many German lovers before Hitler rose to power who later got caught up in the shame of being associated with that evil government.

Heres something to note:
and note it well...

How does the West and her military and intelligence analysts know an evil government?

Its in the way the soldiers of an evil government march.

They all do the GOOSE-STEP!

Read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose-Step

Its a march full of hate to 'crush the face of another' with the boot.

It shows the true heart of a government and precisely what side of the spirit realm they serve through their worship.

China plays a game of great deception.

She quielty builds for war and conquest...and all the time speaks soothing words to the West as part of the deception.
Posted by Gibo, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 7:18:32 AM
Gibo,

Not to worry old mate, I am niether a China lover nor hater. Just calling for a little more balance in commentary. Don't want to frighten the horses.
Posted by Romany, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 11:28:30 AM
Very interesting article.
There have been a couple of BBC documentaries on current conditions
in China. In one the BBC reporter stated that in the province
thousands of small factories had closed.
The numbers boggle the mind.
It showed workers outside the factories demanding their pay.
Inside the management had disappeared and so had all the machinery
of the factory.
The recent documentary showed the problem of the factory workers
returning to the farms. It increases the poverty dramatically.
Not only is there another mouth to be fed, but no money is coming
from the city.

To me the article rings true, but it does not take into account,
if you will pardon me getting on my hobby horse, the increasing
difficulty China will have with energy. Already they are having
problems with electricity generation and diesel supply.
This will increase the difficulty of dealing with their problems.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 3:05:19 PM
If China is smart,it will develop it's own domestic economy.Only 400 million Chinese are involved in this present economic growth.They have another 900 million wanting prosperity.Do they really need the USA or Europe?So long as China has not fallen into the debt trap like the Western World,China has an enormous market at home.

China should also stay clear of the IMF and the World Bank.Their Reserve Bank should stay in the control of the Govt.You don't need worthless fiat paper money when the real wealth is in your people.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 7:24:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The way Gibo argues his case is uncanningly similar to the article author's way of emotivism and spurious correlation... how a national military match can somehow, according to Gibo, lead to conclusions of a completely different thing. It is no way of convincing anyone..

and Gibo and co thinks that a secret arm's buildup/improvement is underway secretly, as if it is not something all nations do in the face of threats... is Gibo concerned about an upset of the current world status quo? or is being biased for the sack of it the name of the game?

He further mentioned the Opium war in his first post... Not to mention how many centries ago that occured and how many other significant intervening events occured since then, there is really little concept displayed towards development of a nation to being a good thing. China's strength is in everyone's interest. This article talks about the economy, im saying without Chinese buying loads of commodities and other goods the recession may just have already arrived. And sure Gibo disagrees with usual biasedness, which he is perfectly entitled to. and no one is ever going to be right or wrong about it. But I really would like to here stronger arguments that aim to hold back others' progress and strive to succeed... please enlighten..
Posted by Goku, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 9:41:19 PM
I have been writing a BLOG in China for over a year and would confirm that the writer has been very accurate in describing the current situation in China. I think those who don't believe in it should learn Chinese and read over a thounsand articles in the blogs in China, just like me, to appreciate the current difficult situation in China.
Posted by scfchan, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 10:02:48 PM
The real worry is the instability in the US.This only emboldens the likes of China and Russia.If the US becomes pre-occupied with domestic problems,would they bother coming to our aid?

An invader would only need to take our major airports with a sneek attack.Once the troops have landed,it would be too late.What would be the point of threatening China with nuclear war? 20 million people would not be worth it,and the US people would not have the stomach for this after being conned by the Bush admisistration.

I think we need to get our own nuclear weapons now.The world is becoming too unstable.An invasion by China will see most of our pop executed.Why?We would not be as submissive as Nepal and the language differences too great.Too much division and confusion.At Tiernamen Square one million possibly killed of their own educated people,was thought to be a small number.They have the power to re-write history.We never existed,nor did their attrocities.Hitler came very close to his objective.

This is not the time to have an equivocating,bureaucratic whimp for a Prime Misister.China needs energy and resources.With our small pop and large land mass,we are an easy and obivious target.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 13 January 2009 11:11:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree the article has a "beware the yellow menace!" feel to it.
Most of the article would be just as factual if "USA" was substituted for "China". I mean, was US financial system transparent? Was there not a large amount of "illusion" in the last decade's fake boom?
Other examples: Corrupt leadership, stilted Press, massive pollution issues, massive social issues (riots etc.), degraded infrastructure and out-of-control military.
We would be wise to keep an eye on things: They owe nothing to the West and the dishonesty of the US in these times will surely haunt us when China (rightly) calls its financial debts in the future.
Remember that the US has been using it's military as an economic instrument for the last 60 years, is it so unreasonable to expect others to learn from this and emulate it?
I believe this is why Neo-Cons in the US are quite rightly scared of China: they know they have been dishonorable when in control, and they fear the justified reprisal when they lose primacy. After all, it is what *they* would do!
I reckon there are forces for good and bad in China, just like here and everywhere else.
Posted by Ozandy, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 9:46:28 AM
Goku.
An armys march is extremely significant.
It speaks about the real heart of the government of the army.

The fact that the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army does the GOOSE-STEP shows that the PLA 'co-incides' in its heart with the Nazi's.

If you want to remember WW2 and what the Nazi's did and how the Nazi's behaved I can recommend "The World At War" (tv series) narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier. Video shops might have a copy.

I see it in no ones interest that China have a huge aggressive army.

COME ON WORLD!

Who threatens China?

Theres no threat from the USA or Britain and Russia and China are mostly friends behind those closed doors.
They drink the same tea...and they make the same plans to over-throw the West.

China builds for the great march across asia and sweeps many similar dark nations into her future giant army through the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation...see The Kings Of The East.

There are many revelations to the christians from God about China. Some say she plots against the USA.
Some say she plans to ravage Australia (Id believe it since she calls us both New China and new South China).

I read a solid christian prophecy from The Lord a few years ago where HE refered to China as "the Great Deceiver".
Thats good enough for me at any time.

I would just like to repeat that.
GOD CALLS CHINA "THE GREAT DECEIVER".

We need to pray for Australia and bigtime... if we want to survive good old China.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 12:12:38 PM
Arjay&Gibo

Come out from behind the barricades and tell us how and why China would want to invade Australia, given the huge logistical difficulties with such an enterprise. What use is an old desert to the Chinese regime, there are much more attractive prospects closer to home.
Posted by mac, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 1:49:39 PM
Hi Mac

Ive just updated my blog at
http://whatwillbecomeofaustraliajackburrell.blogspot.com/
It has some interesting info.
Ive been working on ther invader since 1989.

Why would China want to invade our corner of the globe?

I can think of a few reasons.

1. she wants to to pay back the Anglo-Saxon folk for the Opium Wars and for the pressure for a port from the English so the English could do business in the orient...i.e. Hong Kong (possibly lots of bitterness and loss of face in these events).

*One Chinese guy who lived in China I spoke to on a newspaper website in Scotland said never again would China carry the shame that the Brits put on her with the Opium Wars. They havent forgotten what the Brits did. Isnt that amazing?,

2. she wants Australias mineral wealth,

3. she wants our women as brides for her boys (the One Child policy saw that many girl babies were drowned because the common people could now only have one child...and most wanted a boy to carry on family traditions and to have the boy look after them in their old age)

4. she needs a place to spread out and grow. Shes running out of land and we've got heaps. They would turn the deserts into vegetable gardens using white Aussie labour. The Three Gorges Dam shows they can do incredible things with human hands.

5. Some other government stirs her up and she moves out on the great march in anger.
Christians are expecting a great world leader soon far worse than Mr. Hitler...the man we call the Beast (Revelation 13:16-18/14:9-11).

Whatever happens... its best we be ready and not apathetic sitting and snoozing under the US nuclear umbrella.

America may not come to our aid in those days if shes otherwise pre-occupied?
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 6:47:04 PM
Wow,

Here I was thinking that evil is determined by what people do and how they think and it's all been down to HOW THEY MARCH all along!

I guess that leaves most of the other brutal regimes off the hook and keeps it nice and simple. With all the interbreeding, we can't rely on skin-colour any more.

Philosophically, what I would really like to have cleared up is this - "is dropping a bomb on a pregnant woman the same as performing an abortion and in what circumstances can it be justified?"
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 6:57:17 PM
Gibo,
Until 1942, the American Pledge of Allegiance used to be taken with the arm outstretched and angled upward - just like the Nazi salute. (The Bellamy salute).

Is this significant?
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 7:02:14 PM
Mac,we have about 40% of the worlds uranium.Vast quantities of iron ore,aluminium coal and gas etc.Vast expanses of land uninhabited.
Aust is a perfect place when you have too many people.
All China needs do is buy up the surplus ageing 747s and put 600 troops in each one and take our major airports.Soldiers on the ground are far more effective than bombs etc.Unlike the USA,our pop has been disarmed and there would be no resistence.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 14 January 2009 10:16:02 PM
Rache.
The Bellamy salute was obviously short lived according to Wikipedia. Actually I hadnt heard of it. Thanks for the info.
Its roots are said to be in early Rome... later adopted by Adolf Hitler.
Adolfs public relations machine seemed keen on pagan symbols like the Swastika, also out of history.
The 3rd Reich was full of occult.
Adolf used to see a clairvoyant/s showing his rejection of the Bible for the dark side of the spirit realm.
Auschwitz and the Holocaust sure were the dark side.

Arjay.
Theres no doubt that China covets Australia as does Indonesia.

I think America 'turning in on its own problems' might see her unavailable to aid Australia in the future.
ANZUS stands ok at the moment...but that could change with a new President, further economic troubles, shift in public attitudes, attack by China/Russia etc (hopefully God wont allow the later).

Fully-loaded 747's chock-ful with paratroopers could easily be the first we would see of an invasion.

Whilst Over-The-Horizon radar sees whats out there approaching Australia (maybe?) Defence doesnt follow commercial 747's on their flight paths around the world at least to my knowledge (I dont think anyone does though I could be wrong).
I brought it up with US Defence a while back that (probably) no one was watching commercial fights to see where they originated, or where they stopped (and maybe loaded on soldiers even dressed in civvies into already 'invasion equiped' airliners).

*I think theres something strange going on at the moment with OZ Defence.

They know that asia is building for war but why are they saying nothing to the people of Australia.

Its time we were being indoctrinated to face national service and arms build up...it really is.
Posted by Gibo, Thursday, 15 January 2009 2:51:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy