The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The utilitarian case for stolen generations compensation > Comments

The utilitarian case for stolen generations compensation : Comments

By Ken Parish, published 8/1/2009

The political realities make it highly unlikely that Kevin Rudd will touch a compensation scheme for the 'Stolen Generation'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
“If compensation had been part of the deal, electoral support for the gesture would have unravelled. For this reason there is no conceivable way Rudd will revisit the issue of compensation, no matter what the hopes of indigenous leaders” (Noel Pearson)

Correct. The make-believe goody goodies will say what they think they should ‘feel’ UNLESS they have to pay for meaningless political gestures – whether the subject is ‘stolen’ aborigines or other useless and costly moves like CO2 emission mitigation. Cost, not pretentious and false good will, decides what people really think.

And surprise surprise, we are now hearing that the highly touted Bringing Them Home report was as inaccurate and useless as many of us believed at the time. And, we have heard so many lies about the ‘stolen generation’ that it would now be impossible to sort fiction from fact.

And while Bruce Trevorrow (who has since died) was award huge compensation for ‘wrongs’ he might or might not have suffered, the South Australia Government is going ahead with an appeal against the pay out.

Just imagine the chaos, cost and time involved with more than one person claiming to be ‘stolen’ and taking their shaky cases to court.

No. The cunning Mr. Rudd has again fooled those who believed that he was to be their saviour and mentor.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 8 January 2009 9:43:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The law business must be a bit slow in Darwin.

Too many graduates, & not enough work springs to mind.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 8 January 2009 11:19:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This got me to thinking, that if Damages should be paid to the Childrens who suffered because of being part of the stolen generation.

Those Childrens who had abusive parents, but were taken and get a better life, should those pay for the compensation?
Posted by dovif2, Thursday, 8 January 2009 1:25:58 PM
being a stranger is this strange land i yet have a close understanding of this stolen generation,and have met more than a few in the ten years i thought i could help them

its not about money[how can you compensate not knowing who you are], this quote sums up the absurdity<<we can be sure that many more members of the“stolen generations”will embark on litigation.>>it is pure fear mongering

it reveals a complete lack of understanding of the law system for a start

[the writer even acknowledges that common law is removed from the courts,but its even worse the law courts dont follow their own constitution
,the actual;system we have is maritime juristiction[the judge has the powers of a ship captain[and they are making it up as they go]knowing at the higher level,the system will cover their unconstituted rulings

under this system,of law i have heard the judge actually remoind a lawyer HE IS A SERVANT of the court[he is serving the court at the courts pleasure,but hey if your making the rules anything goes[if you do it wrong the higher court just dismisses anyhow

the writer did note the expense involved as well[the many stolen gen i have met are by and large homeless[worse they wernt given a better life than if they had stayed with their abusive parents,

i have met those who dont know who they are[who their mother etc is,and cant read nor write to boot[let alone know the courts are there to serve the court]LOL

how can i be so sure

[my parents were a simuli to stolen generation[first wave skilled imagrants..[i dont know my family either]plus because of racism my family moved every year hoping the next town would have that promised land

[we even moved back to the homeland [but then there we were even more outcast[rejected by my own] thus lasted 3 years before returning here to the place their children call home, yet is only a colonial abuse system[had i known what was instore i wouldnt have begged our parents to return
Posted by one under god, Friday, 9 January 2009 8:53:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i too have been rejected even by my own [just like those stolen gen by and large do when some white dude turns up and says im your lost long child

[not all stolen gen are welcomed home [but most are]but even if the mother accepts her childs return[the family cousins really dont know this big grownup white kid, you dont get back that that was stolen from you ,even if they do inform you who your parent may be

it is much the same for the imagrants who seek their family ties,no amount of money can return a stolen childhood,and knowing your full family...upon returning 'home' to the only home i have known it was returning to knowing only my imediate family....[but the stolen gen many dont even have that]

then i found drugs[as many of the stolen gen do]and learnt of legal aid [that consists of shepparding its cliants into a guilty plea,any wonder its roots lie in aboprigonal legal service

bah humbug im up against the word limit[and i wasnt going to post in this section ever again[with its two /five post limit

[when if we commented at the article we could most likely post till we fully felt we had given a response correcting all the error in the abouve article

alas, such is this system[bah]back to avoiding[i might need the 2 de to rebut some further lies by some ignorant racist never having the advantage of the free JUST us system
Posted by one under god, Friday, 9 January 2009 8:54:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy