The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Huntington's prophecies > Comments

Huntington's prophecies : Comments

By MA Khan, published 9/1/2009

Samuel Huntington, the controversial political scientist, breathed his last on December 28, 2008. It may take a while to fill his shoes.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The author says it all in his opening sentence. Huntington was a controversial Political Scientist.
Having read a lot of political scientists I am convinced the two terms are mutually exclusive. An example of this is that we have a number of 'PS' writing on OLO and all have divergent even biased views. It’s a bit like histories it depends on so many factors as to not be worthy of the term Science. At best educated guess.

Having read Huntington's book I am amazed how little attention he give to basic needs of people and human nature. He tends to make grand assumptive generalizations and by and large his choice of facts to support his argument is dubious.

His book is interesting but from a predictive perspective it strikes me as having similar relevance to "white turbans V Blue turbans" proficies of NOSTRODAMIS.

This author’s intention is simply to stir up interest for his up coming book as evidenced by his loaded language. He proves Examinator's 2nd rule of truth and profit "Never let objectivity get in the way when profit is at stake".I'm glad he won't be relying on me for support. His thumbnail sketch is neither objective nor insightful.
Irfam is right Obama's critique is far more insightful.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 9 January 2009 10:25:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
examinator

I disagree with you. Huntington, although not perfect (who is), certainly was an excellent political scientist in terms of his willingness to highlight both policy possibiliites and limitations in a world of varied cultural practices. And far from being divisive, he concluded that different cultures could and should respect each other, although few on the far Left will admit this. He also highlighted the rubbish about the demise of the US and rise of Japan in the late 1980s.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 9 January 2009 10:39:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator

However, I do agree that there are problems with term political scientist, always have. Commentator is probably more appropriate in any dicussion of our complex world. Some of the best commentators do not have a political science qualification whereas some political scientists are sadly very biased
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 9 January 2009 10:51:17 AM
Irfan,

First of all, sucked in for having to apologise to Daniel Pipes for trying to smear him as an Islamophobe. Typical of Islamic writers who use civilised western notions of tolerating homophobic, bigoted cultures, you play on the racist lefties who look at Muslims like animals and don't want to hurt your feelings with the truth of your utterly decadent value system.

Secondly, Huntington was spot on. And your comment that the Islam-west conflict is a made up one, I know your lying again.

You know heaps about Islam. You know about the conquering nature of Islam, and how the west repelled the attacks numerous times.

You would also know that there is a series of letters kept in the US from the then Ambassador to Tripoli, George Washington (before he was President) to the leader of the state there (sorry, I forget).

The letter was Washington asking the leader why they rob and piracy all their boats, and those of the Europeans. The response was that Allah lets them do what they want to non-Muslims because we are filth.

Robbing and pillaging is legal in Islam.

The US formed it's navy shortly after and destroyed the pirates. In short, the west fought back as it has time and again....
Posted by Benjam1n, Saturday, 10 January 2009 9:40:43 AM
.....Islam tried to conquer the west after the paedophile prophet (sorry, but his marriage to a 6yr old makes him one) died and has always seen non-Muslims as it's enemy, or lessers.

It's an Arabian supremacy thing. That's why you bow to Arabia 5X and pray in Arabic.

Islam cannot live with others as equals, hence DHIMMI status, where we non-Mussies have to pay a tax to continue living if you ruled us.

Come on Irfan, give me the name of even one Muslim nation that is a pleasant place to live for non-Muslims? Where they live as equals?

Even a suburb in our own country you can't name. Bankstown, etc. are dumps where white flight has occured.

If it were us we would have driven Muslims out. Muslims terrify people because they are basically Nazi values that are mostly followed.

Can't marry outside the racial group. I remember reading a booklet from HREOC about racism (of course all the stories were of white racism, surprise there!) where an Arab lady who actually married a white Aussie said it was unheard of in her culture to even marry another ARAB who wasn't from YEMEN, but another race. They disowned her).

Sick stuff.

We need leaders in the west that will see the cancer for what it is, and give it some radiation.

Western values are like a flower in the desert. The only decent people on earth are westerners.

Everyone else is sick bigots, homophobes. Learn from yours, and our mistakes.

And, oh please, Israel...don't stop bombing until Hamas is swept from power.

It's ironic ppl care about Palestinian kids now, what about how they're kept in camps (And not allowed out to work, or live as equal citizenry) in the Arab states.

Then Arabia would be another Africa, which nature intended. Only the s cultures with good values should survive. Cultural genocide is needed in the non-west.

That's why you guys all want to come to the west, you KNOW it's a better place to live than the dumps that come up from your sick value system.
Posted by Benjam1n, Saturday, 10 January 2009 9:45:00 AM
I believe the "clash" is more between religions of all creeds vs secular rationalism.
The mindless Christianity of Bush and his supporters is just as much to blame for the "terror wars" (post 911 mil ops) as are the Muslims.
Extremists start the division, religion forces everyone to pick a corner and stick to it, then dodgy politicians and the media get the public scared, fan the flames and get the tax $. Then "political scientists" expouse untestable theories as to why it was so!
I've heard it put thusly: People are either cattle or herders: The cattle complain about the whip, but continue to act like cattle. The herders know that if they stop, they become part of the herd so they whip ever harder.
Sad what happens when folks stop thinking.
Posted by Ozandy, Monday, 12 January 2009 9:46:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy