The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to spend my pensioner bonus? > Comments

How to spend my pensioner bonus? : Comments

By Kevin Luxford, published 24/12/2008

Kevin Rudd wants me to spend my bonus. But this gives me a problem. What am I to spend it on?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
....and your sense of humour wan't what I expected it to be. So sorry, my mistake.
Posted by Bugsy, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 8:19:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spikey your rant is tiring.

I'm sick of winging bludgers.

I'm a pensioner. As a late starter, & one of Bob Hawke's "silly old buggers", I was chucked out of the workforce, [due to age] when my youngest still had 3 years of school to finish.

By the time she was through school, & set up in a in a job, & a training course, my little super, & savings were gone, but living on the pension is not hard, if you don't drink, gamble, or smoke too much. I have found I can even save a bit, to fix the things that wear out. It would be a breeze for a couple, if they got on, well.

After a year, my 19 year old car my daughter used was feeling the pinch of a 48Km each way commute. I offered her my 28 year old one, but she didn't like it too much. After a promotion, with a loan from the bank, she bought something qiute a bit younger.

When I got my $1,400 bribe, I was going to buy a Ferrari, a nice old one, of course, but then we found out how much a 19 year old has to pay for car insurance. I only had to add another $350 to get that payed.

Spikey, I can't imagine why you would want to waste money on a well for some over seas subsistence farmer. If they are too lazy to dig their own, they don't deserve one.

I dug my first when I was 9, & just about every kid I went to school with, many of them girls, had dug one or two, by the time they'd finished primary school. If we wanted water, we dug a well. Us kids could fit down the three foot diameter cement pipe, every one used to line them, & our dads couldn't. Besides, they were better at pulling up the 5 gallon kerosene tins of dirt, or mud, than we were.

Enjoy your bribe fellers, I know I did.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 25 December 2008 2:02:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My father who was born 1900,very little information and spent the first 50 years of his life as a wheat cocky. He always would say that money cannot be wasted as it was made to go around. The problem is when the money stops going around. I think he wad referring to the great depression.
Posted by Flo, Thursday, 25 December 2008 9:01:01 AM
We see the greedy mocking the one time bonus for older and disadvantaged Aussies.

Waited 12 years for Howard to do something and got nothing but sneers and bigger tax cuts for the rich.

Idiots here don't understand that there is no one that doesn't pay tax in Australia. Thanks to Howard even the poor and those with no income at all pay tax, including children.

So a one time refund is way overdue and there isn't a pensioner out there that will waste it on a spendathon. A grand only goes so far anyway. Like, it pays a few bills and that's about it really.

Those sick morons making fun at the expense of the elderly and poor will find life finds them out. Everyone gets their turn in the barrel boys.
Posted by RobbyH, Thursday, 25 December 2008 10:38:14 AM
I agree entirely with Kevin's sentiments.
In any case the bonus has no chance of achieving anything positive for the Australian economy and it is too small to make any impact on the Chinese economy through which the money must pass via the purchase of their manufactured goods back again to us by way of iron, coal and other mining exports to them.
Posted by kulu, Thursday, 25 December 2008 3:43:34 PM
The holiday resorts of Fiji and drug dealers of Kings Cross are reportedly very happy with Kevin Rudd and his stimulus package.

The idea underlying this misguided policy is Keynesian economic theory that we can create real wealth by taking money from A and giving it to B.

But this theory is wrong. Only work and savings create wealth.

Consumption, spending, and governmental re-distributions do not create wealth. If they did, we could create wealth by paying people to dig holes and fill them in again.

The only economic activity that governmental re-distributions stimulate is the appearance of wealth created by consuming capital, which makes us as a society poorer.

Every word of the Economic Security Strategy is false. It is not economic, it is wasteful; it does not promote security, it promotes divisiveness; and it is not a strategy, it is a superstition
Posted by Diocletian, Thursday, 25 December 2008 9:06:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy