The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A woman's identity > Comments

A woman's identity : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 29/12/2008

Of the thousands of decisions a couple must make before a wedding, one of the more political ones is what to do about surnames.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 40
  7. 41
  8. 42
  9. Page 43
  10. All
That's a great point James and you're right I think.

However, there is nothing wrong with traditional sex roles - or sex -in my book viva la difference. Yes I'm hetero and been married since I was a teenager to the same bloke. We haven't though maintained any sort of traditional roles (for several reasons) and we've been astonished over the years at the - social disapproval we've encountered. That's what brought us both to feminism - it makes sense of what we've experienced.

The point of feminism is not to make women and men the same or to hold that they are; the point is to make sure that nobody is excluded or prevented from fulfilling their personal potential by formal and informal rules and rewards and punishments that dictate that they can't aim for something because of their sex. Like laws that prevented women from some educational opportunities, and notions that girls didn't need an education.

Feminist analyses simply imvestigate the way that things are connected and operate in society to keep people in or out of certain opportunities and who benefits from that.
Posted by Pynchme, Saturday, 21 February 2009 8:02:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 40
  7. 41
  8. 42
  9. Page 43
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy