The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Malcolm Turnbull: the very imperfect Catholic > Comments

Malcolm Turnbull: the very imperfect Catholic : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 24/11/2008

How does a Catholic politician reconcile his beliefs with his faith.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Hello Catholicjoe,
I agree with most of your sentiments except for the voting Liberal party bit.
Even if Turnbulla nd Aboot were consistent and true to the Catholic faith on those moral issues, they would need to give satisfaction to me in regards to industrial relations and pro worker issues. These things no Liberal will ever give.
As for the ALP, it is just another Liberal Partyu. I stopped voting for it 10 years ago. I now vote DLP in the Senate at Federal elections.

We need a better labor type party in this country that is BOTH pro life and pro worker.
Posted by Webby, Thursday, 27 November 2008 4:00:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A child could have Googled a better precis of catholic beliefs. But Max Wallace never intended to write a scholarly article. His polemic has two themes: (1) fair dinkum catholics are too wacky/dogmatic to be decent politicians; (2) MT is not fair dinkum, as he just converted to snare the catholic vote, so he’s OK. I would argue that most people (even those saintly secularists) have personal values or beliefs which influence their thoughts and actions. It only becomes a problem when they close their minds to other ideas or force their beliefs on others. Some catholics are guilty of this, but they are not the only ones. Yes, Max, I’m looking at you. I suggest you submit future articles to the tabloids if you intend to persist with such poorly researched innuendo.
Posted by Scholar, Tuesday, 2 December 2008 10:53:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy