The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Memoir: The last taboo > Comments

Memoir: The last taboo : Comments

By Charlie Stansfield, published 24/11/2008

Disability: in a world where perfect bodies, youth and beauty are regarded as prerequisites to a good sex life, sex workers can be the answer.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thanks for the article. Most people don't realise that the major thought pulsing through the minds of the young people in a quadriplegic ward is "Will I ever get laid [again]?"
Posted by billie, Monday, 24 November 2008 11:50:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tough but important Subject Charlie.

We are going to the moon these days and there's plenty of money about doing nothing positive really . This idea sounds positive .

There would need to be conditions and reviews applied probably by expert panels with good Disability Services representation .

However, my guess is that if it can be well organised - it will need to be; and if all parties respect each other, are happy, with a positive benefit for all parties, including wider society then why not at least try a program to research the effects??
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 24 November 2008 3:47:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Charlie,
I thought your article would generate more discussion. But I suppose most of us do not see disabled people as having sexual needs. We have much difficulty in discussing general sexual needs, let alone the sexual needs of people with a disability.

It is good to see that an organisation like 'Touching Base' exists and i hope their good work will continue. I just bet that, through this contact, many health workers and carers have found that sex workers are not the cold, hard people as they are often made out to be. Would not surprise me to find that some even give their time 'pro bono'.

There must be many heart wrenching, and some funny, stories gained from your experiences, so keep up the good work.

I trust you will write some further articles related to the ongoing success of the 'Touchig Base' organisation
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 26 November 2008 9:55:56 AM
I am sick and tired reading and listening of "anti-discriminatory and other human rights-based legislation".

From viewpoint of family affairs, a practical local outcome of this import-oriented show-blitz is a complete nonsense in day-by-day reality substantially complicating lives of relatives looking after invalids while only benefiting as usual a legislative fraternity and the age care croakers dealing with assets of clienteles - de facto confused, too often delusive but at timing cognitive as much as required from pocket doctors’ certificates.

And sex is really in demand-regardless of age and disability case.
Posted by MichaelK., Saturday, 29 November 2008 2:46:24 PM
Yes yes yes yes yes - thankyou for your article.

I think it is the social disability that is by far the most disabling and this is the first piece I have read (in The Age 29/11) where I have even ever seen it even acknowledged. This is disability not put upon us from the lack of unconscious control of our own bodies but from others who only think of 'the disabled' as 'Not Me' and 'Those Others' and do not even recognise all the decisions they unconsciously get to make on an incidental and frequent basis with their own bodies every single day that make such a difference to the ease of their day.

Being at eye level to mingle, being able to walk up and down stairs, being able to stand in a crowd or a queue, being able to try on clothes in a change room, being able to go up to the bar and buy the next round: as Paul Kelly and Kev Carmody sing (for other reasons) it is from little things big things grow. If you are not given opportunity for these little things how can the big life moments grow?
Perhaps this article will be one small step towards some physiotherapeutic stretches for our self-centred society.
Posted by chekoala, Saturday, 29 November 2008 3:24:56 PM
An author described his practical assistance in awakening and utilising the since-birth-heavily-disabled-person’s sex activities in the time when Europe was establishing the sex-services meeting similar needs there.

So, what has happened with J. afterwards and how it could happen than a person not being in charge for his own finances is in charge for “individual choice” to require particular services these finances used at?

Please, be specific.

I’d read a related The-Age-article and many else practically.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 1 December 2008 6:41:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy