The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Local government ... down and out in Canberra > Comments

Local government ... down and out in Canberra : Comments

By Scott Prasser, published 19/11/2008

It is with the states that real reform for local government must first happen.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
My only regret about the reduction in the number and influence of local governments is that it hasn't gone far enough. Local government is the level at which incompetence and corruption are most likely to be found. Look, for example, at Port Phillip City council's hiring of a white witch as a change management agent and paying her in excess of $0.5m without any public tender.

As for local government having anything to do with democracy - candidates for election are invariably people we've never heard of and about whom we know nothing, which means voting is little more than a lottery. I know it's not possible but I'd prefer local government to be abolished and local affairs to be managed by state governments.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 10:52:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Local government as we know and love it has long ago reached its use-by-date.
As the states will likely never allow constitutional recognition of local government, then why not go the whole hog and remove constitutional recognition of the states.
Give local government the powers they need to do the job properly.
Abolish the states and reconstitute local government into a realistic form of 2nd tier government in a completely new constitution.
Posted by consRmad, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 1:17:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I appreciate your factual updates on local government, Scott. They are always well documented and interesting. This snapshot is no exception. It would be nice if you could go a little further and provide an analysis of the philosophy behind the forces currently in motion and likely scenarios within the forseeable future on the evolution of the three tiers governmant structure in Australia, highlighting its forces and weaknesses. Even if, as you seem to suggest, no change in structure is visible on the horizon, the roles of all three actors do appear to be in a state of flux.

Banjo Paterson
Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 21 November 2008 5:24:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with consRmad, it is time to remove the state governments.
We have far too many politicians for our own good.
We need to divide the state's responsibilities between the Federal
government and the local councils. In an era of oil depletion so many
functions will be come localised whether the state agrees or not that
we might as well go the whole hog and remove the states.
It is gradually happening now, look at the hospitals and education,
more functions and finance control is moving from State to Federal.

We need a political party to take up the cudgels, but can you see it ?
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 25 November 2008 10:21:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy