The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our national Christmas presents > Comments

Our national Christmas presents : Comments

By Jill Sutton, published 22/10/2008

The government’s economic rescue package is described in terms of Christmas presents. Let me give Kevin Rudd some advice ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The government has applied Keynesian economics to inject money into the economy, guarantee the safety of deposits, restrict short selling. Keynesian economic policies held sway throughout north America, Australia and western Europe from 1945 until the early 1970s, which was a period of economic growth and economic stability.

I think the actions have a healthy dollop of political grandstanding about them and would like to see serious investments in infrastructure that prepare us for the severe social dislocation caused by peak oil and global warming, especially the drying out of south eastern Australia.

It's likely that many people will lose their life savings and jobs as the stock market and property markets deflate and it would be nice to know whether the government intends to pork barrel or install meaningful, sustainable social safety nets.
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 9:32:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, “…why don’t you persuade us to use it to begin moving towards a more carbon-neutral life style?” would be a waste of the $10b. A carbon-neutral lifestyle would not achieve anything, given that climate change (the touted reason for such a lifestyle) is brought about by natural causes.

Therefore, spending the money on adaptation to climate change would make more sense. ABC’s “The Seed Hunters” last night indicates that there are some people working quietly to adapt, as opposed to the Hooray Henrys who think that people can influence climate change.

Apart from that, I agree with the author’s other comments.
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 10:18:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would like a Christmas present...for the sake of the women and children of Australia.

I would like one really big, far-scattered, impossible to target, citizens home guard defence force fully trained against the great asian armies to Australias north so that it would be extremely difficult for either Indonesia or China to get a foothold on Australian soil should (when) they one day decide they would like to move South to test our climate and our dispositions.

If Mr. Rudd, as Defender of the people, the Flag, the Constitution could that... I would be very happy.

It would fill the holes in decades of Defence neglect and bring peace to many Australians.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 2:42:52 PM
'What do I want more than a plasma screen, or a shopping holiday in Bali or a mobile phone that takes pics and is as good as a computer?' I asked myself, and without hesitation came the answer - 'photo-voltaic cells on the roof.'
I am at this very moment awaiting a quote from a local supplier who was featured on the Science Show (ABC RN) last Saturday.
It seems that with the rebate (being more than somewhat below $100,000 pa income) and my Kevin07 Merry Xmas pres-y, I won't have to dig too deep.
The Gummint could do a lot more to encourage environmentally friendly expenditure, but it's really our personal decision as to how we spend the gift.
I'll get a huuuuge blast of xmas spirit listening to the roar of the air conditioners in the houses around me knowing I fear no brown-out!
Diana, Perth
Posted by Diana, Wednesday, 22 October 2008 5:28:00 PM
The article raises considered and necessary views on the role of unfetted consumption in both developed and developing economies. People seem to have overlooked that the current global financial malaise had its genesis in America's consumptive passion for housing and fuel. Remember those long ago (July/August this year?) financial problems with Fannie and Freddie?
The US example of rampant consumerism and unlimited credit provides a touchstone of warning for all economies, an indicator that the Federal Government seems to have ignored in its Christmas goodwill handout.
While considered consumption drives balanced national economies when the other contributor to a consumptive economy - government - drives additional consumption, the process can fuel economic difficulties, not to mention the problems of global warming which the article addresses.
Posted by bennery, Thursday, 23 October 2008 7:47:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy