The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wrong signal for Asia’s firing squads > Comments

The wrong signal for Asia’s firing squads : Comments

By Tim Goodwin, published 17/10/2008

Rudd's hypocrisy: courting those who support the death penalty, while arguing Labor haven’t abandoned their human rights policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
The death penalty is final - what happens when we get the verdict wrong? How many innocent lives can we justify as the means to the end?

The only way I would accept the existence of capital punishment is if juries, prosecutors and judges were also given the death penalty if it was found that they'd convicted (and thus murdered) the wrong person.

With that caveat I doubt anyone would be game to take the chance.
Posted by Collin Mullane, Monday, 20 October 2008 12:54:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What an idiotic post Paul L.

You know very well what I am saying. If you really believe that my earlier post was about advocating capital punishment for All crimes or No crimes - you missed my point entirely (and I suspect deliberately).

Clearly every other poster knew I am talking about crimes for which the death penalty would apply.

While you always revert to insulting attacks on people whom you disagree with, I did at least think that you had a modicum of intelligence. It appears on this - I was wrong.

Grow up.

Sheesh!
Posted by pelican, Monday, 20 October 2008 7:44:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican says that “You cannot be against the death penalty except for "some exceptions", despite the fact I find that I can be against the death penalty except “in all but a few circumstances”. Perhaps Pelican did not read my post, however, as he has misquoted me, or he doesn’t know what quotation marks mean.

Whoever he is lecturing, his comment is obviously wrong.

As for the death of terrorists causing martyrdom – what nonsense!

Terror is a political weapon used to instil fear and mistrust in most of the world’s population – including Muslims who are the people these lunatics kill most.

Anyone who attempts to bully with fear is a cowardly bastard who uses fear, knowing what fear does to him; knowing that there is more than an even chance his targets will not retaliate in the same way.

Well, this is why terrorists should be put to death so that they will know real fear as they stand on the trapdoor with a rope around their necks; wait, messing themselves, behind a sheet, not knowing when the fusillade of bullets will strike.

Forget martyrdom. The more of these animals we put down, the safer everyone will be.
Posted by Mr. Right, Monday, 20 October 2008 9:14:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Bali bombers is just another classic case of 'trial by media'. The media should be banned from reporting on anything to do with trials until the trial has been completed and a verdict has been achieved. It is at this point that the verdict becomes news, not before.

As for the death penalty. Each country has its laws and, if you break those laws, irregardless of your nationality, then you pay the penalty. End of story!
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 20 October 2008 9:31:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy