The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia's radioactive migraine > Comments

Australia's radioactive migraine : Comments

By Scott Ludlam, published 26/9/2008

The decisions we take about Australia's radioactive waste - how and where it should be stored, whether it should be transported - should reflect the best science we have at our disposal.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
One has to wonder why Senator Scott Ludlam makes no mention of the great contribution nuclear science and technology has made to human welfare. Special mention can made to such diverse disciplines as medicine and health science; the pursuit of the physical, biological and earth sciences; the generation of clean power; multiple engineering and industrial applications such as radiation gauges, gamma sterilisation; neutron beam analysis of materials and much more.

Nuclear medicine uses radio nuclides both for the clinical diagnosis and treatment certain diseases. Pathologists use radio isotopes in some assay systems. Medical researchers in many sub disciplines have found radioactive techniques indispensible for the elucidation of biological process for the express purpose of the alleviation of human and veterinary suffering. So when the Senator writes of “the deadly poison of radiation,” he is indulging in meaningless hyperbole.

If the good Senator would take the trouble to consult “The World Nuclear Association” website he would learn that there are well accepted techniques for disposal of radioactive waste, from reprocessing of spent fuel to under ground storage. He would also learn that many countries have a very active program in this regard. By the way, some two million years ago the geological conditions were appropriate of a natural reactor to operate at Oklo, located in Gabon, a country on the Atlantic coast of equatorial Arica. Nature has shown that the radio active bye products can be safely contained.

A finally point, the phrase “radioactive migraine” is totally meaningless. A brief Google search indicates that the phrase only appears in the anti-nuclear rants of the Green movement.
Posted by anti-green, Friday, 26 September 2008 1:08:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that the NT and indigenous communities could do rather well out of nuclear waste disposal. If I recall the traditional owners of Muckaty Station negotiated a $12m fee for that purpose. I suspect that yellowcake transhipment from SA greatly helps the viability of the Adelaide-Darwin railway.

My understanding is the the Lucas Heights heavy water seepage was from an inner container to an outer container. Apparently cows shouldn't drink heavy water due to its chemistry, plus it's expensive. Perhaps the Greens can explain how to wean Australia off coal at a cost of under $100bn and without squandering our natural gas reserves that we'll need long run for minor things like fertiliser.
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 26 September 2008 3:32:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree anti-green and Tas

I can imagine the Greens were mortified when Federal Labor saw sense on gaining office and didn't reverse waste dump intentions.

Most major countries like China and India are building nuclear reactors partially as an effective way to reduce greenhouse emissions. This should be applauded by Greens.

Would the Greens prefer nuclear waste be retained in unstable earthquake and flood regions putting peasants at risk or would it be better to place the waste in stable containment sites in our less populated deserts?

When the Greens insist that there are no safe waste management options and then want to open the issue up to electoral debate I suspect Greens may hope for a scare campaign to boost their Party's image.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 26 September 2008 3:59:34 PM
Once again hysteria being shown by the Greens, a real chicken little outfit screaming from the sidelines that it is all too hard.
Mankind has dealt with all types of toxic substances including the likes of mercury and asbestos (both will last forever) for many many years.
Once the problem is identified it is an engineering exercise to remove the risk.
Personally I would build a thorium based reactor to convert the high level waste and the medium to low level waste could go the Woodlawn bio-reactor outside Tarago.
This bio reactor is already "watertight" so there would be no leaching of material from the site.
No person would bother to retrieve a little bit of radioactive material from many millions of tonnes of waste from Sydney.
The industrial process to do so would be just too hard and very easy to recognise.
Posted by Little Brother, Saturday, 27 September 2008 8:57:03 AM
A trip down the nuke lane - Ozzie style:

1. 1976: Dr Sabine - NSW physicist recommends a nuke dump 1600 kms west of Alice Springs.

Note: Right in the middle of the iron ore rich Pilbara region!

2. 1977: Professor H Arndt Economist ANU believes Australia should offer the rest of the world a part of the Gibson Desert for a nuke dump.

3. 1984: Kalgoorlie Mayor Ray Finlayson says the Goldfields and the outback ideal nuke dumping ground - develop inland by nuke explosions. Wot!

4. 1986: Sir Ernest Titterton (UWA) says all the nuke generated in the world could be safely stored down an old mine shaft. Hmmm....I trust he wasn't referring to the ones the Kalgoorlie Super Pit has now swallowed.

5. 1988: Rhoune Poulenc releases details on proposal to transport 7,000 tonnes of thorium hydroxide in plastic bags to be buried on the WA Goldfields for 25 years. Hmmmm again!

6. 1988: CSIRO chair Neville Wran says Australia should dispose of the US and Soviet's nuke warheads. Huh?

7. 1991: Health Dept releases EMP proposed waste for WA's unmanned Mt Walton intractable LL radioactive waste dump, up to Item No. 462. Includes 2 items of plutonium.

8. 1993: Health Dept's final report up to No. 802 which now includes 4 items of plutonium

9. 1994: Xtalite Corp a subsidiary of Multiplex Constructions said disused mine shafts on WA's goldfields could be used to store toxic waste from Asia. Really? Funny that since our mining companies can't even contain their cyanide and mercury spills.

10. 1994: As a result of court action brought against ANSTO by the Sutherland Shire Council NSW, about 10,000 drums of radioactive waste were transported by road to Woomera in December 1994. The CSIRO waste was considered to be dry, but during transport liquid was found to be leaking from one of the drums.

11. 2007: Mr Swiztowski advises Australia requires 25 nuke reactors. Assuming they take about 15 years to construct - let's see. Worst case scenario - one every 15 years multiplied by 25. Yep mission completed in circa 2383!
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 27 September 2008 7:44:13 PM
Whenever I see an article on this subject, I am reminded of Konrad Henlein's immortal words, which have been the basis for a wonderful careers and superb retirement for all sorts of fringe politicians.

He said:

"We must make demands that cannot be satisfied."

Need I say more?
Posted by plerdsus, Sunday, 28 September 2008 11:06:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy