The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Treaties Committee rejects Russia uranium agreement > Comments

Treaties Committee rejects Russia uranium agreement : Comments

By Jim Green, published 22/9/2008

The Rudd Government will need to argue that Russia is complying with its disarmament obligations if it wants to ratify the Howard/Putin agreement.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I can't agree with the author's approach to this issue. To be absolutely opposed to all nuclear weapons states and proliferation is understandable but those positions can't go searching for individual targets of opportunity without regard to balance of power. I believe Labor's recent moves are motivated by anglo alliance pressures. I also believe that it would be increasingly dangerous to do otherwise while living in a resource producing state. But that doesn't mean I believe there is anything but no good that is going to come with what has been happening in central asia, the balkans, and now the Caucases in this past decade. Russia used to be a state that relied on conventional weapon superiority. Now it must rely on nukes so it will keep nukes until geo-politics improves remarkably from its current deteriorating state. They are a resource producing state like us, they have much in common, and they don't show any sign of wanting to do anything else other than develop domestically while getting free market prices for their resources (not BP-TNK exec decided transfer prices).

I am an undecided on nuclear power, the people that have built them have certainly proved that trust is not warranted, and I fear fusion and gigantic swiss colliders even more but I can't abide stone age solutions or reductions of energy delivery by 80% by taking out fossil fuels and nuclear.
Posted by ciao, Tuesday, 23 September 2008 7:06:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy