The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Poor countries' media must tackle climate change > Comments

Poor countries' media must tackle climate change : Comments

By James Fahn, published 24/9/2008

Climate change reporting in developing countries is woefully inadequate because too often editors and writers lack expertise.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Thank you for an excellent article James Fahn. People in developing nations need to be better informed on climate change, for those who are denied knowledge, are a danger to society.

These people need to understand that anthropogenic carbon emissions have desecrated their oceans, their lands, their air and their health.

What is intriguing in the developed world is the mindset of deniers where there appears to be consensus on:

A: Global warming is not man-made

B: Pollution is man-made

Therefore, deniers would agree that their perceived strategies for A & B would be:

A: Do nothing - business as usual

B: Mitigate pollution. Strategy to mitigate pollution: Reduce A/carbon emissions.

Am I missing something here?
Posted by dickie, Thursday, 25 September 2008 5:05:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze: "As to the Russian Academy of Science your can look here...
http://www.russia-ic.com/education_science/science/breakthrough/709/"

So you can't link to any official statement. This media piece of little known provenance pre-dates the signing of the declaration of support for the IPCC findings by the Russian Academy of Science, so that kind of blows it out of the water.

mhaze: "GISS is not NASA."

It is the one of the main parts of NASA relevant to atmospheric science.

mhaze: "I suspect many of those on your list are in a similar vein."

Vague suspicions are no substitute for fact. Most of the other organisations have explicitly signed declarations in support of the IPCC. You are just trying to pick the weakest case and apply it to everything. However, there is in fact there is plenty of support for IPCC, human-caused climate change, etc. in all NASA areas, including the Langley and Goddard research centres, as would be apparent to anybody that actually made the slight effort to go and look. For example, Google:

ipcc site:larc.nasa.gov

and evidence abounds.
Posted by Sams, Thursday, 25 September 2008 6:03:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
James, do you really think that climate change reporting in developing countries is woefully inadequate because too often editors and writers lack expertise ? I would of thought that they are more in tune with their climates environment than the protected western species sheltered in their air conditioned crèche,office,car,and house therefore stuck in a climate controlled psycho dilemma wanting a spring clean to clear out the cobwebs and stale human condition called boredom while confined in an insipidly constantly stifling,socially regulated catch 22 degrees.I could understand why being locked up for so long would deny western intelligence a few degrees of personal pleasure in feeling the natural changing weather and its effect on human emotions which run hot and cold as natural change occurs daily let alone over a longer period.
Posted by Dallas, Friday, 26 September 2008 3:09:29 AM
Dallas: "stuck in a climate controlled psycho dilemma"

Luckily we don't have aircon, I don't drive a car, and I work from home surrounded by bushland, so hopefully I have escaped the "psyco dilemma", although I did see some rabid looking wallabies :-)

Dallas: "wanting a spring clean to clear out the cobwebs and stale human condition called boredom"

I could do with some boredom, but too many interesting things to do. My recent trip to Ethiopia was a bit too exciting.

Dallas: "while confined in an insipidly constantly stifling,socially regulated catch 22 degrees"

Er, I have a 180 degree view of the trees - does that count? If you want to see a regulated society, try out China or Ethiopia for size.
Posted by Sams, Friday, 26 September 2008 8:34:29 AM
Happy Semisesquicentennial (minis V) anniversarius, Aunty. I heard you're having a 70 year old party.

Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur! - Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!

http://www.yuni.com/library/latin_1.html

Yes, its there for LateNightLive... where Phillip Adams is serenading a complimentary performance to mark and honor the civic purpose of the media and its craft.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2008/2375407.htm

Special Guests include Panel; Paul Murray, Michael Stutchbury, Sandy Aloisi, Jonathan Holmes, Mark Davis, Margo Kingston who put backbone to what it is like to try and work between the emerging media cultures, and the barriers which adds real insight to the content in this forum, especially with editors and management.

My jump is on the costs and locations for the end user given we need power surge protectors, the technology, ISP fees, Line fees, software, all the membership fees... before we have real access or advice to news-grab or can produce/particpate from the bush....

I am proud of the ABC and with SBS... especially recently (three years) in their efforts to improve content polices and diversities.

I just wish we could get some of the billing and technical issues sorted given the demise of regional independant ownership (especially papers) due to the limited access to local forums with room for progressive focus and cross-platform debate.

A community needs to understand the media before it feels safe to openly practice..... in anything strategic thats got long-term benefit.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Saturday, 27 September 2008 2:44:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The global warming crusaders have shot themselves in the foot!
For short term political gain, they’ve campaigned hard on the platform that “it’s all the West’s fault”.

Is there any wonder that now we are seeing senior developing world figures throw their lines back at them “global warming , its nothing to do with us!”
Having been granted the moral high ground, the developing world need do nothing–except, wait for the handouts!
Posted by Horus, Saturday, 27 September 2008 6:08:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy