The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Poor countries' media must tackle climate change > Comments

Poor countries' media must tackle climate change : Comments

By James Fahn, published 24/9/2008

Climate change reporting in developing countries is woefully inadequate because too often editors and writers lack expertise.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I like what ‘rpg’ said about the perfectly natural process of climate change. We have to adapt to the present change and, if it changes again while the planet is still populated, there will have to be more adapting.

Sams doesn’t believe in adapting; he merely pulls out THE LIST. Perhaps he thinks reproducing it is going have some effect. He drags it out every time climate change is mentioned. I suppose it fits in with the black magic ‘fix’ of the Rudd Government.

Our media is interested only in hysterical scare campaigns; they never mention the scientists who rebuff the man-made-nasty-emissions theory of climate change. We are in no position to concern ourselves with the Third World media.

Our know-nothing politicians of all persuasions have grabbed the man-made theory in panic; but the the current annual intake of immigrants is to be 190,000, while almost half a million home-grown characters sit on their backsides getting the dole.

We are going to pay more for everything with no effect on the natural phenomena of climate change if politicians continue to listen to the ‘consensus’ of scientists looking to get their hands on our money via ignorant politicians.

The Rudd Government’s determination to increase the previous Government’s already too-high immigration intake proves that they don’t know what they are doing.
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 12:21:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't propose to slog my way through the whole of Sam's list but just a couple of the names caught my eye.

While there are undoubtedly significant elements in NASA who buy the whole story, I don't agree that NASA as an organisation has said, or is able to say, that they have a view this way or that. But more importantly, the Russian Academy of Science (which is on the list) has just recently come out specifically saying the IPCC has got it wrong. This is after they had advised Putin a year or two back not to sign Kyoto because it was all rubbish.

I suspect if we went through the whole list we'd find quite a few similar examples. Often these lists are put together using the criteria that if the group doesn't specifically say that AGW is a load of bollocks then they are counted as being on side.
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 1:22:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems that the developing world is poorer for not having expert journalists like those telling us that the debate is over.

Well given that there remains significant research into idea that the sun is the possible (likely?) cause of all recent and past warming I wonder how one can say the debate is over. And given that over 9000 PhD's have signed up to partitions saying that CO2 isn't the culprit then I wonder what level of expertise is required to say there is no debate.

Perhaps the poor countries are to be envied for their lack of such expert journalists.
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 1:28:24 PM
James, perhaps they don't report this stuff to your satisfaction, because they are actually journalists, you know ones who report the facts.

Perhaps they were not trained in our great journalist factories, run by, & for the "B" grade academics who inhabit such places.

Perhaps they weren't trained to pick up every press release, issued by some ministerial adviser, an NGO spokesperson, or an academic, & handle it with the reverence due to these words of god. I suppose its even possible that they actually wright their own stories.

They may even think for themselves. Something that is most definately missing in the mothers club, our ABC has become, these days. They might even expect some reasonable proof, to back these press releases.

It's quite possible, really. After all, not many of them were unlucky enough to have been "educated" in the Queensland system. You know the one, it actually achieved better results than the NT one.

That shouldn't be too hard, half the NT pupils don't bother to attend school, or so our journalists tell me. Wait a minute, perhaps those NT non students smarter than we thought, just like these "poor country" journalists.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 1:49:43 PM
I agree with rpg and JamesH. I give the CO2 alarmists 5 years at most and the whole human induced climate change thing will fall into a heap much like the millenium bug did.
Posted by Sniggid, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 1:55:33 PM
Sams - you quote me out of context, I said "I'm probably going to be sprayed with sewerage now by some of the extreme folks who believe religously in the AGW thing."

Which is exactly what happened isn't it? By yourself and Phil Matimein, and that's OK, I can deal with folks having a different opinion.

So I didn't label any of your favorite list anything - I merely stated what I see as the usual response of NCC (Natural Climate Change) deniers, like yourself to anyone with a different point of view.
Posted by rpg, Wednesday, 24 September 2008 2:14:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy