The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ethics and rights debate in the helping professions > Comments

The ethics and rights debate in the helping professions : Comments

By Chris James, published 17/9/2008

One in five people suffer from depression: this is surely the most pressing ethical dilemma for the helping professions.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I would like it to be spelled out a bit more clearly, why is a high prevalence of depression a pressing ethical issue for the helping professions?
Posted by Fencepost, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 4:35:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When my brother was depressed the doctor sent him for a blood test and diagnosed thyroid deficiency. Now he takes a pill every day and he's fine. More and more so-called 'personality disorders' like depression are turning out to be simple treatable medical conditions, just like diabetes or stomach ulcers. This is why counsellors and psychotherapists have to tout for work, to avoid joining the ranks of the unemployed.

They used to say 'Reality is for people who can't handle drugs'. Perhaps we could say the same about psychotherapy.
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 8:00:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been a mental health nurse since 1978. This is the greatest waffle I have ever heard from a so-called proffesional. Give me a client anyday. Clients can speak in a way that all people can understand.

Kalweb
Posted by kalweb, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 9:10:03 PM
1 in 5 ppl suffer from depression you say?

now if thats true, that just shows how the implemented social engineering schemes of the elites, have left the programmed humans suffering tremendously and not knowing what hit them nor caused it.

must we all work so hard and achieve so high? family time non existent not to bring in the fact that i as a young man will spend the next 30 yrs of my life working day in day out paying of 1 house.

ethics? what ethics? the only ethics i know in this country are the western borned ethics. pluto? aristotle? im clueless in history im more clueless to the origins of ethics, but im sure the chinese have fantastic ethics that we westerns can learn from, and i know that we can learn a few things from the european ethics, love the fact they still live with their parents even at 50(no its not wrong, just different).

:) i love psychology.
Posted by just tran-k, Thursday, 18 September 2008 1:42:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I found this article very interesting. The writer has obviously studied a subject that matters to her deeply. Her sources are very wide and maybe this makes her argument difficult to access for people. I would like to attempt a simple summary which might be helpful:
Counselling is an activity where one person (the counsellor) attempts to understand the feelings of another (the client). The mental framework of the counsellor is of great
importance. Thus, if the counsellor holds to the position that he/she is NORMAL, then they will assume that the client needs to be helped to achieve the counsellor's "normality". So the "ethics" of such a relationship consists of transferring to the client some values and attitudes, honestly and gently.
However, if the counsellor takes the view that the client has arrived at a difficulty in his/her life, which requires respect and understanding, the client does not need "ethics" any more. The client's problem becomes clear. It stems from life-experience. That's how I understood the article. I hope I'm right.
Posted by Alf, Monday, 22 September 2008 9:32:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy