The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Georgia - more questions than answers > Comments

Georgia - more questions than answers : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 20/8/2008

Western intelligence, diplomatic and military resources need to address or counter Russia’s emerging power.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Perspective too limited and distorted by anti-Russian bias.See my comment on the Paul Dibb posting of 20/8/2008. Leslie
Posted by Leslie, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 10:10:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
re True Democracies & Genuine Free Markets

Peter Coates states that:

"Rising energy prices have boosted Russia’s economy enabling Russia to avoid any need to move towards true democracy or a genuine free market economy."

Naomi Klein's book, The Shock Doctrine, provides interesting background and analysis, concerning the inherent contradiction between "true democracy" and "genuine free market economy".
Her chapter on Russia is titled "Bonfire of a young democracy".

While I don't expect Peter Coates to adequately address the playoff between democracy and economics here, substituted rhetoric would well be left out of a more thoughtful opinion piece.

In its place could be some discussion of the influence of Israeli interests, American soldiers and Washington lobbyists, on events in Georgia.

If you are interested, Google "Randy Scheunemann" Georgia

for

McCain OK with aide's lobbying past
USA Today - 17 Aug 2008
... top foreign policy adviser Randy Scheunemann's past lobbying work. The fighting between Russia and Georgia has brought renewed attention to Scheunemann ...

McCain Aggressively Defends Scheunemann's Work For Georgia TPM
As You See It: Aug. 18, 2008 Santa Cruz Sentinel

McCain adviser got money from Georgia The Associated Press
New York Times - Washington Post

all 218 news articles »
dyn/content/article/2008/08/12/AR2008081202932.html -

and so on.

Or for a different perspective,
find some addtional context and analysis at

http://palestinechronicle.com/view_article_details.php?id=14075
Posted by Sir Vivor, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 10:40:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leslie and Sir Vivor

Don't you think an independent country like Georgia has the right to get Western help, be it Israeli or American?

Australia gets US military help all the time.

Rather than citing sources that illustrate your prejudices you may wish to notice parts of the article that describe Georgia as "reckless" and criticising NATO for encouraging Georgia.

Regards

Peter Coates
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 11:28:05 AM
Thank you for your reply, Peter

Sure, Georgia can ask the US for help. But help from anyone comes with strings attached, the more so when it comes from another soveriegn nation.

I expect you have read Des Ball's writing, in " A Suitable Piece of Real Estate" and as co-author in "The Ties that Bind". Those books still provide food for thought about our relationship with our friend and major ally, the USA.

As for your suggestion that I cite sources which illustrate my prejudices, am I to assume that, because you cited no sources, you have no prejudices?

But I certainly agree with you that Georgia was reckless. Reminds me of Iraq's reckless invasion of Kuwait, back in the last century.

Hey - - - How do these things happen?

Best wishes,
Posted by Sir Vivor, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 11:59:47 AM
Sir Vivor

Yes I've read Des Ball's books. His last joint book http://epress.anu.edu.au/sdsc/cyber_warfare/pdf_instructions.html Chapter 6, page 125 - that's an interesting read...access to many things and no need for censors...

Yes countries (the US, Russia, Australian aid) rarely do anything for nothing.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that the US university schooled President of Georgia has a few quiet friends in the US Government/conservative chatterati who said help would be forthcomining if he riled the Russkies at a strategic pre-November time.

The aim? Create a sense of uncertainty and new Cold War doubt that only the bold (anger problem?) candidate McCain can exploit. You need the firm hand of a serious old man when handling a drawn out crisis against experienced players who also, by the way, gain sabre rattling kudos in their own country.

Cynicism breeds accuracy I think.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 10:58:45 PM
Obviously that makes all of our media and political class the same so if you think that's good company, then continue with your lies.
Posted by Steel, Thursday, 21 August 2008 12:14:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy