The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Secrets, lies and big oil > Comments

Secrets, lies and big oil : Comments

By Will Hardiker, published 31/7/2008

When President Bush leaves office his record will show that he served his masters - the big oil companies - well.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I am not so sanguine about global supplies of quality oil (the stuff our civilisation is built on) - but you already knew that.

I dips me lid to people who are clever enough to understand and unravel the corporate and geopolitical machinations of the oil giants. But why is it always presented as an either-or situation? The end of easy oil is the perfect motive for them to behave in the way that they have.

As long as we believe there is still plenty of good oil left, they will continue to get away with it. It's a sticky trap, and well laid.

I have quoted Colin Campbell (the Ancient Mariner of the oilfields) before and feel compelled to do so again:

"The world now faces a discontinuity of historic proportions, as nature shows her hand by imposing a new energy reality. There are vested interests on all sides hoping somehow to evade the iron grip of oil depletion, or at least to put it off until after the next election or until they can develop some strategy for their personal or corporate survival. As the moment of truth approaches, so does the heat, the deceptions, the half-truth and the flat out lies."

If we can wean ourselves off the black stuff, they will be well and truly shafted.

Not wishing to derail the thread, I can't let the opportunity pass without pointing out that BushCo did a heap of lying about 9-11 as they have consistently done with everything else. The evidence for their guilt in that little caper is much more than merely circumstantial.

- means - method - motive -

The perfect trifecta....
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Thursday, 31 July 2008 11:46:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot (bumper sticker)
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 31 July 2008 11:53:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apparently during the 2000 run for the US presidency, it was not the oil companies that gave the Bush campaign the greatest amount of money; it was the pharmaceutical industry. And like the oil industry, the drug companies want to make mega-bucks at the expense of millions of sick people around the world. Those who need anti-virals and other drugs to keep them alive are milked for all they're worth or find they can't even get pharmaceuticals because generics are banned in their country because of WTO pressure (ie: thanks to drug companies lobbying efforts). Those companies are still unhappy with the existence of Australia's PBS - even though they got some concessions with the 2004 US-Australia Free Trade Agreement.

At any rate, Bush has been a useful frontman for the big corporations - none of which will face a democratic ballot in 2008.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 31 July 2008 6:07:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The invasion of Iraq was not simply a grab for oil(it was a necessary, not sufficient condition).I would place more emphasis on the global, geo-political strategic imperatives facing the single super power.And this focus on the Middle East diverts attention away from the undeclared war being waged between the US and Russia over the gas and oil reserves of the Central Asian Republics.Overt hostilities have been limited to Georgia and Kosovo, but much worse is in store.
Posted by Leslie, Thursday, 31 July 2008 6:52:36 PM
It is to be hoped that after the USA presidential election, commonsense will prevail.

Should the USA reject reality, there status (what they think) as numero uno will be down graded.
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 31 July 2008 7:09:16 PM
Chris Shaw

As I've mentioned before I reject your 9/11 scenarios, HOWEVER, the fact that Osama bin Laden has not been killed by US forces and interests swarming all over Afghanistan and Pakistan continues to puzzle.

At Tora Bora (Afghanistan) US Special Forces and CIA types had him holed up however they were ordered to rely on Pakistan's Army to prevent him escaping across the imaginary border into Pakistan.

Why is that? Everyone knows Pakistani's are genuine believers and would consider Osama a brother. Why would us infidels trust them at such a critical tactical moment?

The answer appears to be the Ruling House of Saud (of Saudi Arabia) daren't not risk a prominent yet exiled son of the House of bin Laden to be killed - especially by us infidels. The Saudis warned the US/Bush family (notable for its oil interests) not to touch him.

Religious and political disunity in Saudi Arabia still isn't worth Osama bin Laden's death in the eyes of the Saudis or American quiet oil interests.

Why does corporate/Bush America care? It wants Saudi oil to flow without disruption.

Revenge or justice for 9/11 is secondary - hence bin Laden is still alive and putting out media statements.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 31 July 2008 10:46:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy