The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The great government philosophers > Comments

The great government philosophers : Comments

By George Fripley, published 30/7/2008

Obstrucius, Burocrates, Futilius and Dillayus. Today's public servants have much to thank them for ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Great stuff from the Talented Mr Fripley.

Like many, I am inspired by The Hollow Men. I hope the boys tackle the establishment's response to climate change and carbon taxes.

- are you reading this boys? Make it a good 'un! -
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 11:49:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a former senior public servant, I enjoyed this.

My forthcoming (I hope) article in similar vein in City news takes the mickey out of all the mnagement guff, which is realy just about getting people to work harder and harder.

That's a point I think needs emphasising. Where I worked the restraints imposed - for example "efficiency" dividends and the non-supplementation of pay increases - meant we had too few staff to do a really good job.

Anyway, an enjoyable read.
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 1:16:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Passy>"meant we had too few staff to do a really good job."

Oh really? I think government processes are arcane and outdated. Dinosaurs rule the public service and the inbreeding supports the status quo. Suit yourself, though.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 1:30:52 PM
As a current public servant I really enjoyed this!

So much of it just SOOO true!

“During the quarrel they both died when their brains dribbled out of their ears due to the banality of their arguments.”

Aaaaah haaa hahahahah.

I can just see it now; Nelson vs Rudd on interest rates and inflation on Lateline…. dribble, dribble, dribble, eeeeoow flop (Nelson falling off his chair), errrrh flump (Rudd expiring in Tony Jones’ lap!). Ahhh yes, what a luvly mental picture (:>)
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 30 July 2008 10:39:32 PM
Inspired, Isn't it a pity that they aren't more studied?
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 31 July 2008 9:06:38 AM
“Admission into the Civil Service is indeed eagerly sought after, but it is for the unambitious, and the indolent or incapable, that it is chiefly desired.”

The Northcote Trevelyan Report

Explains a lot and nothing new (google it)
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 1 August 2008 9:50:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy