The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An atheist who loved his neighbour > Comments

An atheist who loved his neighbour : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 10/7/2008

Philip Nitschke has discovered the hard way that singular targets are a gift for the opposition of any crusade.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
T.Sett,

Euthanasia is a difficult issue. On one hand, is the unconditional respect for the value of human life, and, on the other the unconditional respect for human dignity & the desire to alliviate suffering. Nature or God is a cruel master.

As I have aged, more frequently, I have learned that people usually do not leave peacefully, quickly in their sleep. Rather, often in pain and/or diminished mental capacity. Herein, enthanasia with pre-consent, should be permitted.

Incidently, Brian's allusion is correct. Adolf Hilter was not an atheist:

“Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith.” - Hitler (1933)

He was a Christian:

“I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so.” - Hitler (1933)

Regards,

O
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 10 July 2008 7:57:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd just like to add some facts that go towards illustrating the contribution Philip has made to humanity - to Australians and to the world (quite literally, since EXIT is a global organisation)

He is the recipient of the following awards

* Rainier Humanitarian award, Washington, 1996
* NT Darwin Territorian of the year, 1997
* Australian Humanitarian of the year, 1997

He is, quite literally, one of a kind.

Thank you Phillip - from everyone.
Posted by bullagal, Thursday, 10 July 2008 9:04:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Phillip Nietszke is one of a kind and he is my nominee for Australian of the year.
His proposals have been misrepresented by the raving religious right to serve their own misguided dogmas
Posted by maracas, Thursday, 10 July 2008 9:17:20 PM
Bravo, Brian, I think your article is a fresh breath after I've been posting on David Palmer's euthanasia thread.

Someone close to my family was euthanised a few weeks ago after a long, painful struggle with cancer and she couldn't have wished for a more kind and peaceful death, surrounded by all her loved ones and her little daughter.

I fully support Nitschke, he is a compassionate man.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 11 July 2008 2:47:10 PM
Dr Nietschke is a humanist. He is a brave man and offers a rational and secular suggestion.He isnt saying that all who are suffering terminal ilnnesses and in hopeless agony and are condemned to die in agony and without hope should be taken out and put down.It is a matter of choice.The cornerstone of our political life is voting where choices are made. The cornerstone of our mature adult lives is chosing who we are going to live out our married lives with. We have choices in every other sphere of human experience but not in the matter of our death.Why is this so?

If we have a dog or a cat living in uncurable disease and suffering without any hope of getting over it we OUT OF LOVE decide to have it put down because it cannot do this of its own. It is essentially an act of love that stirs us to act out of pity.

We should be able to end the painful final hours of one we love also.Not to do so is to look at them lying in bed and virtually tell them we want them to experience more of the dreadful agonies as if they havent had enough.What do the dying think of us then...as theit torturers?

socratease
Posted by socratease, Friday, 11 July 2008 10:31:15 PM
Steel,

>> “You can take any modern issue these days, and see that it is commanded by the religious (for the most part).”

What?? Which issues are you talking about Steel? This is just a blanket statement with no evidence for it whatsoever.

>> “This back channel is extremely corrupt,”

What corruption are you talking about?

>> “in most cases with these modern issues a majority of Australians probably disagrees with their implementation.”

What are all these issues that the majority disagrees with and where is your evidence? Its all just waffle isn’t it.

Phillip Nietschke should be commended for doing important work with little support and facing intimidating consequences. The government should allow a conscience vote on this issue.
Posted by Paul.L, Saturday, 12 July 2008 12:03:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy