The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Norwegian ‘big stick’: women on boards > Comments

The Norwegian ‘big stick’: women on boards : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 20/6/2008

Making sure women are represented on public limited company boards is not reverse discrimination in favour of females.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
l do so enjoy the refreshingly original and child-like imagination of one who projects their social utopia and workers paradise on the back of scandanavian quasi-communist sates.

With any luck this sort of thing will lead to the commodification of elitest cliches, then these folks can start complaining about how they have become undervalued.

Personally, l dont care what gender a bunch of self-serving, blowharding corporate baord members happen to be. Somehow l doubt it change their habit of front loading the books so thatthey can get their phat bonuses. These types of folks are great at justifying and denying their self-interest. Attributes that women, at the very least, match men in.

ps. no person worth their salt, ever, in the history of herstory, accepted such nonsense as 'political quotas.' Then again, there arent many people on boards worth even a grain of salt.
Posted by trade215, Sunday, 22 June 2008 6:52:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In my naive youth I was all in favour of feminism and its goals. Time has put a stop to that as I see that females have no more to offer than males; in fact, I see an almost stupid sense of entitlement amongst gen-X/Y females. DOWN WITH FEMALE CHAUVINIST SOWS!!
Posted by Johnno, Sunday, 22 June 2008 10:00:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In European Union
“Gender equality is a fundamental right, a common value of the EU, and
a necessary condition for the achievement of the EU objectives of growth,employment and social cohesion.”

“Equal participation of women and men is a crucial factor for lasting
development and symbolizes the level of political maturity of societies:while democracy requires equal rights for women, this in turn guarantees democracy.

THE PRINCIPLE OF AN EQUAL VOICE FOR ALL MEMBERS OF SOCIETY IS THE CORNERSTONE OF DEMOCRACY

On average, the management boards of the largest companies listed on the national stock exchange of EU Member States include just one woman representative for every nine men, the share of women increasing marginally from just under 8% in 2003 to a little over 10% in 2007. The Scandinavian countries tend to do better than average - Norway has by far the highest share with more than 34% women in corporate boards, followed by Sweden with just under 24%.
European Commission’s Roadmap for equality between women and men
(2006-2010) includes the promotion of equal representation of women and men in decision-making as one of six priority areas for action.

Across Europe men account for nearly 90% of the board members of leading companies and there has been very little improvement
over recent years.A noteworthy exception is Norway, where the government has taken positive action to redress the imbalance by imposing gender parity on the board membership of both public and private companies (minimum 40% women)

trade215
"scandanavian quasi-communist sates"
Do you try to promote communists or you do not know what is communism?

Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Monday, 23 June 2008 9:29:41 AM
ASymeonakis “Gender equality is a fundamental right, a common value of the EU, and a necessary condition for the achievement of the EU objectives of growth,employment and social cohesion . . . Across Europe men account for nearly 90% of the board members of leading companies and there has been very little improvement over recent years. A noteworthy exception is Norway,”

Equality of opportunity or outcome?

I suspect the EU are talking about opportunity, only a moron thinks you can ever force equality of outcome and that is what you are measuring, equality of outcome, the usual drivel of the affirmative action sentimentalists, as they drag us from eminence into mediocrity, all in the name of equality.

There is a general discussions thread currently running on this very topic, I note your contribution to that thread is absent.

That not withstanding, in referencing the EU to matters concerning Norway, i find your post quite humorous (but i have a particularly warped sense of humour)

I must point out to you, ASymeonakis that Norway has another notable exception.

Norway is not a signatory to the Treaty of Rome or any of the ratifying and expanding treaties which are prerequisite for EU Membership up to and including the treaty of Lisbon, which the good old Irish have just torpedoed.

I suggest you learn something about stuff before you post, rather than parroting the jingles.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 23 June 2008 11:19:19 AM
I can see the merits for company boards having equal representation of men and women, though I'm no fan of affirmative action for any purposes. I really think this is totally unnecessary. Women are entering Tertiary study at much higher numbers than men, so it's only a matter of time before women far out number men in all positions of power.

Regardless of this I think in the Norwegian case, why are we so sure all women really want is to be CEO of a company. How do we know we aren't promoting women in this instance from a smaller pool of women even interested in the roles, thereby reducing the talent pool.

For instance, say if 40% of women would like to be CEO, and 60% of men would, and we have a population of 100 people and 10 CEO positions. Are we to promote the top 5 women and 5 men to CEO, effectively taking the top 12.5% of women and the top 8.33% of men? That is surely not as optimal as the top 10% of men and the top 10% of women?

Now you may say, we should 'make' women interested in this role in life, because it's just gender stereotypes at work here. If so, why are we not interested in socially engineering society to do the same for men not interested in being nurses and teachers and stay at home fathers for instance?

What are the men supposed to do while we as a society promote the idea for all women to do traditional male roles while at the same time never promote any men to take on the majority female roles.

Finally, why do either. Why not let people decide what roles they would like for themselves and allow equal OPPORTUNITY for all to do as they wish?

Yvonne,
'..How do you propose females are kept in their place if you can't slap them around a bit ...'
I really think that's quite offensive of you to assert anyone upset about the one-sided government approach to DV just wants to hit women.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 23 June 2008 12:07:29 PM
Col Rouge
"I note your contribution to that thread is absent."
I am busy!

1. Mainly I refer to EU.
2. To Scandinavian countries "scandanavian quasi-communist sates"trade215
3. To Europe, "Across Europe....A noteworthy exception is Norway", Why did you write "Norway is not a signatory to the Treaty of Rome", "I suggest you learn something about stuff before you post"
Col Rouge
I know you as CONSERVATIVE BUT fair man, what is this?

I AM VERY BUSY

Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Monday, 23 June 2008 12:09:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy