The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An age in thrall to enthusiasm > Comments

An age in thrall to enthusiasm : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 13/6/2008

Beware of the person in public life, or the salesmen who boast of their passion or enthusiasm.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Oliver
I think you'll find that Roman Catholics aren't obliged to believe in transuubstantiation ...the older generation of traditionalists still hold to what they were told and it is still an article of their faith. The younger generation of priests and some liberal older clergy are going very soft on the subject.The move is to eventually put it behind them.When I did John as one of my theology units I had an RC priest who explained the transitional position.Some saw it as a backing down.I saw it more as a development that is starting to move through the ranks but very slowly,naturally enough.
The rapture of Father Pio is very much under a cloud too.A historical study by one of their scholars in the Vatican has warned of the need to be more cautious. They draw a distinction now days between enthusiasm for the life of Father Pio and any wild rapturous beliefs that need to be bagged. Not many of us hear about the reining in of rapture...nor for that matter do many Catholics.When I mentioned it to my Catholic friends,one of whom has an altar to Pio, they froze in amazement and laughed it off as anti-Catholic propaganda that they have been told is sweeping parts of the world. I dont feel as welcome as I used to be at one time although I did say that the matter was still being investigated by B17 and his razor gang.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Friday, 20 June 2008 9:03:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oliver,
Could you tell me which of Pocock's many publications you are quoting from?
Peter
Posted by Sells, Saturday, 21 June 2008 1:02:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, I was distracted working within the word limits, leaving the main item out. Blocked for 24 Hours. Again, please excuse the delay.

(1) Reference:

The Enlightenments of Edward Gibbon, 1737-1764. Volume 1, Pocock, J.G.A. (1999, p.24), Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, England

Hope this reference helps you.

Good luck with your Jane Auston thesis.

(2) Greek Root:

“There has been a misunderstanding in the forum about the difference between the modern meaning of enthusiasm and that of the 18th century and before as has been pointed out by Romany.” - Sells

Herein,

In-theos*, in god. We use the word every day and most would miss en-thuse.
Posted by Oliver, Saturday, 21 June 2008 6:44:04 PM
Oliver,
Many thanks, prompted by your first quotation I have ordered the first three volumes of "Barbarians and Religion" the second of which contains your quotation.

Peter
Posted by Sells, Sunday, 22 June 2008 11:09:19 AM
Peter,

No problem. Happy to help.

socratease,

A complement to "The Body of Christ" is "The Thought of God", wherein God's thought is clamed by adherents to reside in organic and inorganic matter. A position examined by Spinoza. Gustav Fechner attributed a soul to the planet, Earth.

- Ref: The Tarner Lectures, Cambridge, "The Physical Basis of Consciousness" by Edwin Schodinger (1956)
Posted by Oliver, Sunday, 22 June 2008 12:31:11 PM
Sells

I have just been reading Peter Jensen's article in SMH explaining the Lambeth boycott. It seems God "honours" enthusiasm along with faithfulness.

Your response to GAFCON is certainly going to be interesting!
Posted by waterboy, Tuesday, 8 July 2008 10:58:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy