The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kangaroo: designed for our times > Comments

Kangaroo: designed for our times : Comments

By John Kelly, published 13/6/2008

Kangaroo meat is extremely low in fat, actively reduces blood pressure and tastes great. Kangaroos also don't burb methane!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I hope they can do something about the taste.I bought some kangaroo meat sausages once and the smell was so strong that i could not even cook them.Maybe the steaks are better.Very good idea if this problem can be addressed.
Posted by haygirl, Friday, 13 June 2008 8:39:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In the 40,000 years mentioned, there were no ‘Australian consumers’ and no Australia. Australia as an entity has existed for only 200 or so years.

I agree with haygirl. Kangaroo meat is all smell and no taste; dreadful muck, fit for pets only.

John Kelly’s summary of the fragile nature of our land is correct; we are overusing it, and calls for more food production are out of touch with reality.

But eating kangaroos – yuck!

The author clearly wants to sell kangaroo meat, but his industry will not get a red cent from me.
Posted by Mr. Right, Friday, 13 June 2008 9:20:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Disliking the strong taste must be one of those personal taste things like oysters. It's the preferred meat for three of my family. It also has the benefit of being very cheap. I'm hoping it doesn't become to popular and more expensive, though I think environmentally it's a better option so I shouldn't whinge if it happens.

I suspect there will be a few outraged posts on OL about eating our national emblem. The writers should visit the National Park near me in the grip of the drought. It might be a 'natural death' but there isn't anything beautiful about starving roos suffering. It's been great that some dingos have extended their range in our park to put a bit of balance back into the system.
Posted by JL Deland, Friday, 13 June 2008 9:51:12 AM
I have tried kangaroo a number of times. On one occasion it was inedible and smelt appalling, however on all other occasions it was delicious. I suggest people try again if they have had one bad experience... cheers,
Posted by Jed, Friday, 13 June 2008 9:54:23 AM
Kangaroo meet in the butcher shops a savior? Not likely.
While it has a lot of pluses, the failure is ecological.
Every tonne of Kangaroo carcass transported from the paddock depletes that paddock of several kilograms of plant-available phosphorus.
Of course that can be remedied – at the same price as for beef or lamb carcasses. Fertiliser problems will catch up with modern civilization eventually. Nauru, Western Sahara/(Morocco?) have propped it up very well so far – so far. And mining our, and the world’s, sewers will take a bit of energy.
Posted by colinsett, Friday, 13 June 2008 10:16:10 AM
Taste is a matter of culture, upbringing and personal perceptions. The (eye)dea of eating goat eyes bothers me but are a delicacy in some places. Even cute guinea pigs (cavy) are regularly eaten.
Ask an American about Vegemite and you get Yuk! Yet it has been a national staple for Aussie kids for yonks.
I agree ‘roo meat isn’t to everyone’s taste but as a green source of protein it’s ‘bonza mate’.
All the practical issues like price etc would be resolved if large scale farming were to happen. The only concern I have is that we don’t repeat the ostrich debacle, too many players too soon. Or it is marketed as a novelty item.
As a matter of conservation I would rather see a controlled ‘value added’ market than many of the environmentally destructive practiced at the moment.
Unfortunately many ill informed animal lovers liken the market to that of the disastrous and unsustainable“bush meat” trade in poor countries.
Farming say elephants is uneconomical for many reasons including birth and maturity rates etc making it basically unsustainaple.
Conversly kangaroo’s breeding is largely determined by feed availability and their time to mature is much less. As a consequence extinction in a controlled market highly unlikely.In the wild boom breeding this way often means leaving too many adults in bad times to decimate greenery already threatened by cattle sheep. Keep in mind also ‘roos don’t eat fodder to the roots like most hooved animals.
Additionally ‘roos don’t follow regular tracks as such unlike cloven animals that causes soil compadtion, plant loss(except for introduced fast growing weeds)and increases erosion. Stock actually cases many environental problems.
In short ‘roo meat is an excellent potential mass food source in AUSTRALIA where it suits the environment. Over coming the "fluffy yuk reservations" is only a matter of time, presentation and education. Sooner or later with climate change we will have to consider the option seriously. Why not now?
In the interest of complete disclosure I am a volunteer bushcarer, wildlife rescuer and keen environmentalist.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 13 June 2008 12:50:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy