The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boycott or abolition? The politics behind the Beijing Olympiad > Comments

Boycott or abolition? The politics behind the Beijing Olympiad : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 15/4/2008

The Olympics is invariably tainted. Far from being an occasion for uplift, the games invariably provide a time for mourning.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Ironically it is "human rights" that is the discourse of imperialism; of bourgeois British liberal Protestant culture.
Posted by John Greenfield, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 3:14:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Romany, for the opportunity.

For estimated numbers of Tibetans killed by Chinese invasion go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet#Evaluation_by_the_Tibetan_exile_community

Somewhere between $00,000 and 800,000, or 10 percent of the Tibetan population.

The estimated numbers are necessarily hard to pin down, because there is no such thing as a government census. If you want to believe the Chinese version, go ahead.

Then there are those tortured prior to killing and those tens of thousands who had to flee for their lives.

I will not downplay Saddam Hussein's bad deeds, especially against the Kurds. I'm just making an atrocity comparison and then comparing our responses.

I take it your query was genuine, Romany. Or are you simply batting for George Bush?
Posted by gecko, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 4:03:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
... the insertion of of seemingly random figures into each section, and constant, unchecked duplication".

Tibet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It all depends on what you want to see, I suppose.

Wikipedia is of course an open encyclopedia and not a particularly good reference for either the Tibetan cause or the China perspective.

Nevertheless, I will be interested in reading the full entry.

I received a particularly informed response to the first On-Line Article which is posted on the DB Site. It was from Geoff Wade, an Australian, (who) is currently Senior Research Fellow at the Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore.

Xiaosui is writing a reply. To do justice to Geoff Wade's response and her reply it will be in her first language. It will be posted in Kaixin.

For all I know there are no wombats. That is entirely self selecting.
Posted by DialecticBlue, Tuesday, 15 April 2008 7:40:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes of course my query was genuine, Gecko. As is my interest in researching both sides of any controversy. But just as you may think a "Chinese version" is not the best source of truth, I would never accept Wikipedia in a search for truth either. Its a valuable reflection of current public opinion, granted. But there is a reason that we do not allow our students to cite it in any academic enquiry, you know.

No, I don't want to believe any particular version: I want to evaluate genuine information from both sides, weigh them up and reach a conclusion which I would happily forego if it was proved to be incorrect.

And George Bush? Am I batting for George Bush? Good grief!
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 2:52:05 PM
Celebrate rather also then,
Unification in Consciosuness,

of 1 set of a Humanity's War Poppets
sharing tucker from trench to trench
with another 1 set of Humanity's War Poppets

noting:

in the darkness, shineth the light
&
unto light, *lIGHt* is added.

*HOLY, HOLY, HOLY*
Thank f__k the BlakFellas aren't
pommies or fundies or faerie folk

*hEAVEn & eARTh*

are full of yr glory
glory b 2 U
Luv *gODDo* most HigH

& at this time of trial
as thy *Lord Satan* sees fit to confine some of us

may we b sublimated in thy virtues
noting that U did warn us in advance after all,

& having many a shining historical example of those
not shy to giv the "establishment" an alternative view to consider,
we move on.

...Adam...

VOTE 1 *gREEn bROWNy*
Posted by AJLeBreton, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 5:44:44 PM
I think there is too much misunderstanding of what Tebit actually was and is. Many stories told by western media are unbelievable to me. They are just not logically possible to happen anywhere in the world. But it seems many people are willing to accept that story and believe China is a distinct country and terrible stories should happen there. Their view of China is still locked in 1949. They did not see and did not want to see the major development in China. I don't know if it is capitalism-communism or east-west culture issues. Pointing finger is much easier than get to know the truth.

I just post a link of Tebit history by a western visitor. (Seems anything coming from Chinese government is not trustable here. Can you believe that?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsoc4-QnplY Tebit issue is a totally different story comparing to US killing Indians. It is a fight between feudalism and communism. It is a fight between slave and their landlord. Now those escaped (used to) wealthy Tebitan wants their priority back
Posted by SunshineSydney, Thursday, 1 May 2008 4:33:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy