The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aspirational goals for Indigenous Australians > Comments

Aspirational goals for Indigenous Australians : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 16/4/2008

The 2020 Summit could well present that critical podium Indigenous people have been seeking for so long.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It says a lot about Stephen Hagan that he is surprised that there will be no representation from the defunct and corrupt ATSIC. They had the lot to themselves, and blew it!

The Summit is already a joke, and doesn’t need to be associated with any group like ATSIC.

Note, too, how Stephen sees “even-handedness” in the process, now that he has been selected. Also note that he is disappointed that he is going to pay his own way to the Summit. So much for public service!

The list of submissions – groans and gripes – proposed by him are the usual ones heard almost on a daily basis; problems which will continue well after the you-beaut Summit is forgotten, and everybody has stopped laughing. The author also regularly pumps them out on OLO, without any effect whatsoever.

The Summit that we don’t need to have will make no difference to aboriginal Australians, or to any Australians. If the Rudd Government needs such a patronising stunt to fool the few participants involved into thinking that they have contributed something, then the Government has no business being the Government of Australia.
Posted by Mr. Right, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 10:12:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Such a humble piece Steve. Well done.

But now, c’mon, fess up, which mates of yours nominated you? And how many?

Lots of Aboriginal people were peer nominated but alas did not fit the "secret terms of reference' so it’s a bit rich of you to be surprised that more blackfellas didn't get the magic letter from Glyn and Kev. Perhaps they had the temerity to be critical of Labor governments somewhere in their public lives?

Where is Gary Foley and Michael Mansell for example?

It’ll be interesting to see the silver bullet solutions that come out of this summit and how well they will be received by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

For example - The last thing I would want to see is that Kev decides to create another stupid national representative body out this gammon Summit. I believe this cockeyed idea was recently put up by a blindly ambitious blackfella who should have known better.

As for your recommendations, nothing there I would disagree with. However, I’m surprised you didn’t mention stolen wages. Or is anything that remotely smells of justice for historical injustices too ‘radical’ for this ‘moderate’ gathering of the best and brightest?

Good luck at the love-in. Remember not to be critical of anything the Bligh government is doing. The spies are everywhere. But you know this don’t you.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 16 April 2008 8:52:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr. Right,

I suspect USQ will pick on the travel tab.

If I recall my sociology correctly the optimal size of group to achieve innovative outputs is five persons.

O.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 17 April 2008 1:36:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Error: Should read pick-up above. Stephen, good luck.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 17 April 2008 4:33:36 PM
Oh forgot Steve, you failed to mention the UN DECLARATION ON THE RIGHTS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES?

Why?

remember this?

"In an 11-page judgment, the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination said the term was offensive and insulting and recommended the federal government remove the word "n**gger" from the sign at the sports ground, west of Brisbane."
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/23/1050777290365.html
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 17 April 2008 7:17:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Recommendation: provide first home owners with a higher first home owner’s grant (20 per cent of total value) and lock in fixed term monthly repayments of 5 per cent for the entirety of the loan."

- 10% would be more realistic to say cap one and 5% to cap 2. Annual repayments would need to not exceed 30% of annual net income. Who would underwrite the Bank loses on 5%? Fortnightly payments are preferable to monthly - pays loan off quicker.
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 18 April 2008 2:55:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy