The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Howard and Kyoto: was he wrong for the right reasons? > Comments

Howard and Kyoto: was he wrong for the right reasons? : Comments

By Jenny Stewart, published 14/4/2008

Why, as a shrewd politician, did John Howard not ratify the Kyoto Protocol?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Perhaps I'm being somewhat naive but I never saw the point of Kyoto in the last couple of years for a simple reason: All of the publicity on AGW says that it's the level of CO2 in the atmosphere which is causing global warming, yet Kyoto wasn't about actively lowering CO2 levels - it was simply about controlling how much more CO2 we put into the air.

In this, there seems to be a huge contradiction.

If the levels of CO2 are actually the problem (Don Aitkin doesn't seem to believe that it is, but that's not my point) then why aren't we making a big effort to remove the excess CO2 from the air? Why aren't we focussing on the technologies which could actively remove this excess? Why are we making all this hoo-ha about how much more CO2 we put into the air?
Posted by BN, Monday, 14 April 2008 9:54:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why would Liberal Party take Australia for all it's worth? Because Howard and who he serves are pessimists, believing they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The Liberal Party showed they don't care about anybody but themselves when they chose not to apologise to Indigenous Australia for past doings like the Stolen Generation.
Posted by Richard_, Monday, 14 April 2008 10:29:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems that non-Labor voters will soon be exhausted saying, "I told you so". Even dyed in the wool Laborites are already begining to see Rudd Labor for what it is.
Posted by Mr. Right, Monday, 14 April 2008 10:29:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a really poor analysis.

I mean, did the author not even know that Downer was involved with Kyoto drafting as a prospective partner, and that Howard had negotiated toughly precisely so as to position itself to accede? Those negotiations gave Australia huge leeway because of the severely reduced targets, making the calculus of Australia's emissions almost irrelevant. The only substantive thing that happened to change the situation was the election of GWB - who was a vehemently anti-Kyoto. So, to attempt to attribute what was a change of heart (and not a consistent position) to some nebulous sense of fairness is absurd. Clearly it was the political dynamic of the alliance which caused Howard to harden on the Kyoto along with all the adopted Republican talking points that came with it.

Also, can I just say - you don't have to view Kyoto as a panacea to see the utility in signing - that's a strawman. Clearly a universal structure is better than no structured global response. Ratification also entitles participants to shape the successor system, and demonstrates leadership, which in turn leverage other nations, and isolates defectors. That's why the article's attempt to justify our non-ratification by citing the US is so farcical. Australia's ratification was so political precisely because in mirroring the US, we gave political cover for them to do nothing. Lamenting US non-participation is itself a sound reason to ratify.
Posted by BBoy, Monday, 14 April 2008 10:30:03 AM
BN to some extent Nature can absorb manmade CO2 additions if they are drastically slowed and we have not gone past a 'tipping point' with feedback like a microphone in front of a loudspeaker. However the exact limits are still being discussed.

Rudd is to be praised for confronting China with its greenhouse record but has yet to take tough action at home. I'd argue that Australia has considerable international clout as the main coal exporter and owner of 40% of the world's uranium. If (ever)we have carbon cuts at home I think coal and LNG export customers should make the same cuts. Yellowcake exports could be contingent on proven carbon cuts in the importing country, provided they meet several other criteria.

A phenomenon that has emerged since Howard's departure is the dramatic increase in prices for coal, oil and gas. Energy costs are going up even without forced carbon pricing. Whether this alone will lead to conservation and increased renewables is hard to say. Rudd and Garnaut must devise a scheme that steers a middle course, neither recessionary nor carbon prolonging.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 14 April 2008 10:40:09 AM
Howard was right for the wrong reasons
he never explained the science for CO2 problems is still to be done
Micro bioligy, genetic engineering, still require much research not to mention sub atomic reseach (even the equiptment not yet built and/or operational yet) then simper things like under sea info

lets just do simple things that work and get more interested in current issues like nuclear disamament, Stop all religious wars, and help the developing countries advance.

genernal efforts to reduce all polution to continue and still needs advice and publicity based on science and progress
Posted by senatevote, Monday, 14 April 2008 11:44:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy