The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are environmentalists on the road to Damascus? > Comments

Are environmentalists on the road to Damascus? : Comments

By Max Rheese, published 2/4/2008

Some will never admit the falsehood of anthropogenic global warming - they will simply move onto the next environmental scare campaign.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
So, David, those who do not agree with you are 'cretins', ego, those who agree you are not cretins.

What makes you right, I wonder?

Even the scientists do not agree. As a matter of interest, L Hissink is a geologist, a scientist. You may not agree with his argument on GW, but that does not make him a cretin. He also, if you bothered to read what he says with an open mind, backs up his argument with science (you remind me of my friend whose mind is like a steel trap, a closed steel trap on this issue). If you are going to challenge that science, then do so with science.

Also, as a matter of interest, I took no stand on GW. I am not a scientist and I refuse to form an opinion based on secondary sources. I did call for open minds.
Posted by DialecticBlue, Thursday, 3 April 2008 1:42:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DialecticBlue.

If you read my post carefully, you will see that my admittedly intemperate comments were directed toward those who don't think "that conservation of the earth's resources for the use of future generations is a worthwhile pursuit."

If you are in that category then you will have to wear my opprobriums, otherwise, congratulations.

My comments on GW were benign, as were yours.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 3 April 2008 3:58:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
one need not be a cretin in order to make cretinous claims.
Posted by bushbasher, Thursday, 3 April 2008 6:59:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Liam,

Writing a full article is difficult because so much is involved. Nevertheless I believe I could provide insight by answering any questions or opinion concerning interest you or anyone else may have.
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 3 April 2008 11:06:25 PM
Max Rheese quotes Pearson who quotes Marohasy who went to a festival in New York which was put on by an organization supported by Exxon where Roy Spencer (a well known climate skeptic) made some comments about his analysis of some data from NASA's Aqua satellite. As a result of all this we are assured that we don't need to worry about global warming.

Get real Max! Did you even look at the paper by Spencer? It is a short term study of certain types of weather oscillations in equatorial regions. Spencer claims that in this (very limited) situation the feedback between CO2 and water vapour is not as great as was thought. But he says "...it is not obvious whether similar behaviour would occur on the longer time scales associated with global warming." Not to mention in the vast bulk of the atmosphere not involved in his study!

In the same volume of Geophysical Research Letters there are many articles either assuming or confirming anthropogenic global warming. Why pick out this one? The answer is obvious of course. And on this basis we are told AGW is a myth! Add to this the total nonsense about global warming stopping since 1998 (the hottest year ever - don't these people understand the difference between weather and climate?) and we see that their cause has nothing to do with getting at the truth of the matter.

The skeptics and deniers are a tiny minority of scientific opinion and yet they make very loud noises. They seem to think that the team that makes the most noise wins. For the sake of our future, let's hope that's not true.
Posted by KeithB, Wednesday, 9 April 2008 7:48:10 PM
KeithB

Exactly!
Posted by Q&A, Wednesday, 9 April 2008 8:45:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy