The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > www.BoycottSweden.com > Comments

www.BoycottSweden.com : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 28/3/2008

The Swedish boycott of Australian wool over the practice of mulesing is disingenuous, especially as the practice is to be phased out by 2010.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I agree that it would be superfluous and counter-productive to boycott Australian wool if there has already been agreement to ban the cruel practice of mulesing.

As a consumer I boycotted French products in response to nuclear testing, but now I wonder if boycotting is counter-productive in some ways. It certainly did not stop the French and probably had more impact on Australians who worked for French-owned companies. Then again symbolic gestures can have an unquantifiable and positive impact and boycotts could be argued as one of our few remaining democratic freedoms.

Boycott's may bring attention to worthy issues but as the author describes they can be a veil for protectionism. There should be no need for a veil in my view, if someone doesn't need our wool don't buy it for goodness sake. Boycotts might also have unintended effects on innocent stakeholders and in fact I think Sections of our Trade Practices Act criminalise boycotts if it interferes with the business of a Third Party. I will try and find a link.

Australia did the same with NZ fruit (pears and apples I think) on the basis of the fear of blight. Personally I don't think we need to import fruit if we have sufficient supplies and there is always a risk of bringing in diseases. Why don't we just refuse to buy into the free trade pandemic.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 28 March 2008 9:46:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an Australian Farmer, I can assure you there are far more benificial things people can do than boycott our products! Please read link below!

http://youcansavealamb.blogspot.com/
Posted by Farmer Savealamb, Friday, 28 March 2008 10:48:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clearly profits and morality will remain divided when it appears that Mr Ariel has been selected by the livestock industry to act as a bodyguard for tyranny.

In addition, Mr Ariels states:

“Sixty-five years ago, Sweden professed to owning the high moral ground by claiming “neutrality” during World War II, while secretly selling iron ore to the Nazis. Aiding and abetting the Nazi war machine cost countless British and American lives.”

Perhaps Mr Ariel needs to be reminded that Pig Iron Bob was also selling our iron ore to the Japanese who found that metal extremely useful for the Japanese war machine during WW11.

Furthermore while Mr Ariel claims that the Swedes had a “racial purity” programme, he appears to ignore history which reveals that Australia also had a White Australia policy.

However, one must thank Mr Ariel for the links he has provided. I most certainly will contact the Swedish government to offer my congratulations to those Swedes who have chosen not to purchase Australian wool due to the cruel practice of mulesing without pain relief.

I shall also advise the Swedes that the WA Department of Agriculture will cease mulesing their sheep as early as next month.

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/200803/s2184915.htm

Would Mr Ariel like the skin ripped off his backside without an anaesthetic?

The Swedish traders, it appears, are adhering to the EU’s official recognition in 1997 - that animals are sentient beings - possessing a level of conscious awareness, and able to have feelings .

Economist, Mr Ariel needs to be aware that Australia’s treatment of its livestock has earned them the ignominious reputation of a nation which endorses animal cruelty, not least from the export of live animals where, last year, over 40,000 dead and diseased animals were dumped overboard, These deaths are testament to the horrific journey these hapless animals are subjected to.

The author has demeaned his standing on OLO by offering a mask of reasoning which propagates an appetite for sadism.

This nation (my nation) needs to realize that we have now entered an age of enlightenment where animal cruelty will no longer be tolerated.
Posted by dickie, Friday, 28 March 2008 1:16:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I come from a merino sheep farming background in WA, and am well aware of the process of mulesing, and the issues involved. It is really quite a cruel thing to do to a baby animal without use of any anesthetic, before or after the operation. While I completely agree that this is preferable to the animals becoming flystruck (I wonder how many city dwelling Europeans have seen a live animal with maggots eating into its flesh?) I do think that the industry should have realised a very long time ago that in a society waking up to animal cruelty, mulesing was never going to be an acceptable form of preventing fly strike. We just should not have come to a situation where it takes the screaming of animal rights groups, and countries boycotting our produce for the industry to do something. Farmers could and should have lobbied for alternatives a long time ago.

As for boycotting Swedish products and companies, I think a more productive and positive action would be an education campaign about the practice of mulesing to counter both the ignorance of the consumer and irresponsible claims by animal rights groups (for example, PETA's statements about the removal of "dinner plate sized chunks of flesh" from the hindquarters of sheep). This should also come in combination with widespread advertisement of the steps the industry is taking to change the practice
Posted by wildwood, Friday, 28 March 2008 1:24:30 PM
Jonathan..HOW DARE YOU speak about Swedish actions against Australian wool grower practices....

Don't you realize you are sprading HATE and FEAR ?

Why do you tar all Australians with the meulsing brush?

Why do you contribute to Australians becoming more 'Anti Swedish' by mentioning these things... how sad.. how horrible, how racist, how unfair...how...how.....

You are creating 'division' not unity.. you are exacerbating this problem and soon, people will give vent to the feelings you are building up inside them..and formerly sensible Australians will suddenly lash out violently against any Swedish person....

In fact..the world might come to an end because of this.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 28 March 2008 1:28:22 PM
boaz, the contrast you're attempting to draw there is quite obvious.

If you'll kindly point me to the part where Mr Ariel says that the belief foundations of anything associated with PETA is 'evil' then perhaps, I might take it seriously.

Though even you could do that, it would only make me dismiss Mr Ariels piece (which as it stands, is quite a good argument) rather than accept your scaremongering against the Islamic religion on a whole.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 28 March 2008 1:34:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy