The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The phantom MP > Comments

The phantom MP : Comments

By John Spender, published 26/3/2008

The ministerial casualties from the last elections are giving the impression that the Coalition is divided, dispirited, and not serious about its work.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Aye. 'Tisn't a good thing when MPs give up their ticker. Heck, some of them have been in there for far too long.

Downer, Vaile, Costello and Ruddock are clearly past it. I'd add Wilson Tuckey to that list, for no other reason than he's clearly out of touch.

Labor's been in the wilderness for quite some time and were subject to such a disciplined campaign, that their most incompetent players have been pruned away.

That's not to say there isn't some there, but you can be sure they've been taught how to present well, but compare their current professional image to that of say, Tuckey.

The Coalition really does need to clean house and get some new talent in there, even if a 'super-Tuesday' style event results in further attrition. They need to start presenting a viable opposition, the sooner the better.

And I don't think Nelson's going to be able to do that. Bets on how long before Turnbull rolls him?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 10:06:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quite right John,but then they didn't do much in government other than to stay in government, helped by Beazley, Crean and Latham. We are years behind on infrastructure renewal and development,on water policy and climate change on education, particularly skills development, and health.
Our diplomatic skills have been allowed to wither as we followed the twists and turns of an erratic Bush administration. The AFP has a bigger foreign language training allocation than does DFAT.
And the Rudd government, like all Australian governments for the past 30 years,is smitten with the pursuit of mediocrity.
Bruce Haigh
Posted by Bruce Haigh, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 10:22:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe they should be paid with phantom money. At present they are guilty of taking money under false pretences.
Posted by Flo, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 11:45:56 AM
Can you imagine the outcry if one of their own staffers didn't turn up to work one day because it conflicted with their second job.

What a sad and sorry lot and what a reflection on how far we have lowered the bar of democratic representation. What happend to 'for the people and of the people' (I didn't mention 'by the people' because we lost that one a while ago).

If a candidate is not willing or able to represent their electorate regardless if he/she had previously reached the giddy heights of Minister, then get off and let someone more committed do the job.

Shame we will have to pay for it via a by-election though. This is the same government who spent more on taxpayer-funded political advertising in 2007 than any other group or corporation so the Phantom MP scenario is not altogether surprising.

Love Flo's idea of phantom salaries.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 12:04:07 PM
stop whinging. everyone does what he wants, under the constraints of society. there are damn few constraints on parliamentarians, so their 'wants' are broader. why do you imagine pollies should do any differently, do you still think they are saints, or philosopher kings?

ozzies complain endlessly about the natural results of parliamentary government, but never dare to suggest an alternative. ignorance leavened with laziness and moral cowardice is the likely reason. among people who habitually purport to have opinions on politics, ignorance is inexcusable.

since the task of bringing democracy to a continent-wide sheep-pen is daunting, i am more tolerant of laziness and general gormlessness. but do be silent, if you have nothing more to say beyond "i wish pollies were nicer".
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 2:06:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee DEMOS, who was whining about our form of government? I thought Spender was pointing out that the former ministers were undermining it by being lazy and disinterested.

Bruce, right on. I think Downer should be given the job of ambassador to Iraq, Ruddock to Afghanistan to track down the hundreds of Afghans sent back to that hell from Nauru, Vaile to well anywhere but here.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 2:26:33 PM
Do you mean in the same way that your post is not whingeing or providing other alternatives DEMOS?

I don't think it is ignorance or laziness it is more a feeling of powerlessness. Unless we take up arms (which is sedition) the only thing we can do is vote with our feet or start a lobby group to push for more participatory democracy.

I often wonder what would happen if a large majority of Australians refused to vote at the next election as a protest whether that would have an effect or would it create disaster. Not sure on that one.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 26 March 2008 6:19:06 PM
What gave all you people out there the idea that we have democracy? We had a dictatorship under Howard and look like continuing one under Rudd. I won't go back any further. The Yanks have one under Bush.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 28 March 2008 7:53:42 AM
If these Coalition members are not happy with their revised (Opposition) pay and conditions, they should follow the same advice they gave to those whose pay and conditions were cut by the Coalition's WorkChoices. That is, "Not happy? Stop whingeing and go get another job. And stop bludging off the taxpayer!"
Posted by ex_liberal_voter, Tuesday, 1 April 2008 4:46:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy