The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Educating poor children in India: Why not? > Comments

Educating poor children in India: Why not? : Comments

By John Gore, published 27/3/2008

What does an education officer do when he retires? He goes to India and teaches in a school for Dalit children - the untouchables.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thank you for sharing your experiences of teaching the "untouchables" in India. I applaud both you and your wife for sharing the gift of your knowledge to these forgotten people. Education in any context represents hope- a sliver of hope for a better tomorrow. Well done!
Posted by TammyJo, Thursday, 27 March 2008 10:26:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Due to the generosity of our friends, who had given money to be used on the school, we were able to purchase all this equipment and other resources.”
It is sad that such donations are necessary.
If every Australian donated a dollar to that cause, there would be about $A20 million available.
If every Indian ($A)millionaire gave an Australian dollar to it, about that same $A20 million would be available.
Posted by colinsett, Sunday, 30 March 2008 6:07:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is so heart-warming to read, but I remain saddened by such inequality in Indian society and our world in general.

Thank-you for taking the time to tell us about it,-I hope you will continue to update us when you return to India.
Posted by Ginx, Sunday, 30 March 2008 6:53:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy