The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > White flight from NSW government schools > Comments

White flight from NSW government schools : Comments

By Jennifer Buckingham, published 20/3/2008

Calling increased ethic segregation in schools 'white flight' assumes it is only white parents who are making race-based choices about schools.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Rainer, I wasn't even talking about racism. I was suggesting that it is possible that there might be a strong income component in people being able to move away from particular schools, and that this might reflect in the racial profiles of those left. It was an hypothesis, not a statement of fact. I'm interested in exploring the issue, not scoring points.
Posted by GrahamY, Saturday, 22 March 2008 12:27:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainer you are too fixated on being the victim.Go to any school and you will see children congregating in recognisable groups such as nerds,sporting types,trendies etc.It is just human nature.The flight of anglos from the public school system isn't all about race.I send my children to a Catholic school because of the better discipline and caring nature of the school.

My children have Indian,Chinese,Italian,Greek and Lebanese friends.They get treated as equals.There is not the slightest hint of racism in their group.

I think that there are greater divisions evolving in our society due to intelligence, education and economic status rather than skin colour.The term "White Flight" is an over simplification since many people of ethnic origin attend independant schools.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 22 March 2008 4:42:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Threads like this is only fueling racism! Wake up to yourselves! If the ship is sinking, are you only going to excepted the hand that is with-in your colour range, again! wake up! Man! The human race has still a long way to go
Posted by evolution, Saturday, 22 March 2008 10:58:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here We Go, Rainier the Victim once again.

Fits the bill on all points.

You go BIG R, The white Anglo Saxon Race are involved in a concerted effort to deny Aboriginal Kids a chance to learn alongside thier children...

Has anyone ever watched a DOCO called Brown Eyes/ Blue Eyes?

or

BBQ AREA?

Is Racism ever justified?

For everyone!

As long as it doesnt happen to my kid...

Rainier if my kids beat up your kids and your friends kids on a day by day basis and all mediation was met with "I'll get my family onto you, you white prick" as is apt to happen when dealing with our native friends in regional areas, would you not say well bugger it I have had enough I will do what it takes to get them a better education.

Matey you know why your mob got a problem? You mob have no responsibilty. Its always somone elses fault. Not your problem your people abuse kids or treat elders with disrespect.

Im sure you will have some half arsed Lawyer response but deep down you know that this is true.

Shame on you blaming us mob for your sins. Shame
Posted by SCOTTY, Monday, 24 March 2008 2:10:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier! Right now I am listening to a song by Air Supply, and this is no bull, I hope I have the spelling right. And the title of the song is, I cant fight this feeling anymore. Please give it a listening, cause all you need is love. and that's a fact.

I believe in this song, and I might have just forgotten to tell you all, I have being playing the guitar for 26 years and music is what helps me.

All the best.
Posted by evolution, Monday, 24 March 2008 4:15:36 AM
We need to stop abusing the word racism. The vast majority of the times when people have an attitude about a certain group or culture it is not because of the colour of their skin, but because of the way that they act and behave.

You cannot behave badly or be rude and disrespectful and expect people to still love you just because you have different or darker colour skin or even believe in different things.

It is not how you look that makes the difference but how you act. In Australia today I really do not think that there is too much Racism that is based on the colour of skin just alot of people with attitudes about how other people act. IN many cases it is justified.

Education - Keeping them Honest
http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/
Our children deserve better
Posted by Jolanda, Monday, 24 March 2008 7:49:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy