The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > White flight from NSW government schools > Comments

White flight from NSW government schools : Comments

By Jennifer Buckingham, published 20/3/2008

Calling increased ethic segregation in schools 'white flight' assumes it is only white parents who are making race-based choices about schools.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Good for you Scotty.
They are your kids, they are your responsibility and it is obvious that you take your responsibility seriously.
All the lefties, righties and dilettante fence-sitters who are happy to conduct social experiments using someone else's kids don't seem to appreciate that parental responsibility to do the level best for your own kids is the prime imperative of all parents. Good stuff!
Posted by enkew, Friday, 21 March 2008 6:40:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People have this little fantasy that different races and religions are going to get on. What a joke. They have been killing each other for years. Sure there is always some who want to mix and get on but far too many are hostile towards each other and they have set attitudes towards each other. Forcing different beliefs/cultures together doesn't generally create harmony.

Many families leave schools where there certain large ethnic groups represented because they feel alienated and they feel scared. There is no effective way of dealing with bullying so bullies rule and there are some cultures who are by nature or nurture more aggressive and violent than others.

Bennery the Selective School system of selection is grossly unfair as it identifies those who are in the better learning environment not those who are the most gifted. Therefore students from cultures were they are coached and tutored outside of school will always win against the public school student from a disadvantaged home learning environment. That is neither equitable nor fair. It is also a case that the process is open to bias, tampering and manipulation.

Education - Keeping them Honest
http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/
Our children deserve better
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 21 March 2008 7:14:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just one more thing I would like to add that the two times when my two youngest kids were in the Public school system, they are in the Catholic school system now, that we had issues with significant bullying it involved a Kiwi girl who took a dislike to my daughter and went out of her way to intimidate her and stop any of the other school students playing with her and to make her life miserable (they were in Year 4). This girl was very intimidating. This stopped when my husband went up to the school to pick my daughter up and asked my daughter to show him who it was. When this girl saw that my husband looked like an Islander and was dark, she left my daughter alone and treated her differently. The other incident involved two Lebanese Muslim boys who took a dislike to my son who is a very senstive and quiet boy - they ended up in a full on brawl in Kindergarten as the other boys in the class got involved to protect my son who was being harassed and bullied by these boys. These boys even went so far as to insult me in Arabic in the school playground thinking that I couldn’t understand. They called me a slut and a donkey amongst other things.

We have nothing against Kiwi's or Lebanese. We are going to a Kiwi wedding tomorrow and my husband is Lebanese but certainly there are certain groups that seem to be more rude and aggressive than others. I hate to say it but it does appear to be a fact.
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 21 March 2008 7:45:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda said it well.There are some schools that have almost no discipline.Some of those Islander girls can flaw an adult male.Are you going to let your child be bullied and assaulted just to prove that you are not racist in the minds of the luny left?
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 21 March 2008 8:28:49 AM
Well said the last 3 posters. Tell it the way it is, not the way the limp left want to hear it.
Posted by Mr. Right, Friday, 21 March 2008 8:31:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“White flight” is certainly not endemic across NSW schools but it is a strong element of what we call “choice” of schools in some communities, and part of a myriad of layers and circumstances affecting the schooling decisions (if they have the means to make any decisions) made by families.

If Jennifer Buckingham finds such reports disturbing perhaps she should call for a thorough review of the extent and causes of social and even racial sifting and sorting created by our framework of public and private schools.

It isn’t enough to attack the commentary of those who point the finger at private schools. They also point to divisions between public schools. But the way private schools are structured and funded in Australia makes them a disproportionate part of the problem. Deal with it, Jennifer!

It also isn’t enough to attribute divisions between schools to existing socioeconomic and ethnic stratification in our towns and cities. Even assuming this is the case, what should be the role of government?

Is it the role of government to exacerbate or to reduce these divisions? If the former, Buckingham needs to show how this creates a better Australia. On the other hand, if it is in the public interest for governments to reduce such division then Buckingham needs to ask how this could be done, while preserving some of the “choice” she seems to value above all else.

I wish you luck, Jennifer.
Posted by bunyip, Friday, 21 March 2008 9:33:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy