The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Moving away from paternalism > Comments

Moving away from paternalism : Comments

By John Tomlinson, published 14/3/2008

2020 summit: the existing system of social security is inadequate, unjust and maintains people in poverty.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Paul,

Thank you for your really practical interest intending, to your respondent understanding, to make Australia better.

A question, as I see, is dual at least.

On personal merits, it is not of a place IN GENERAL, but of a PERSONAL place PARTICULARLY in any society / area geographically. Is it in plain English?

And speaking IN GENERAL, under Kennet / Howard rule Australian politics demonstrated such a cynic approach to decision-making, that recently still continuing programs differ a little from traditionally-oppressing, paternalistic practices in so-called communist and simply authoritarian places, where carrots are perhaps little less sweeter on terms of China-made whitegoods brands only.
Posted by MichaelK., Thursday, 3 April 2008 11:04:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MichaelK,

Let me rewrite what you are trying to say so that we understand each other.

MichaelK >> “Thank you for your really practical interest intending, to your respondent understanding, to make Australia better.”

I think you are saying. Thank you for your practical interest in trying to understand me [your respondent] and therefore make Australia a better place.

MichaelK >> “A question, as I see, is dual at least.”

The question as I see it has at least two parts.

MichaelK >> “On personal merits, it is not of a place IN GENERAL, but of a PERSONAL place PARTICULARLY in any society / area geographically. Is it in plain English?”

I think you are saying here that “ regarding your views it is not the location which you come from which determines how you feel but personal experience or personal ideology which matters. Is that in plain English?

If that is what you are trying to say another way would be “ It’s not where I come from that is important, my beliefs are individual and are result of my learning, observation and experience”

MichaelK >> “And speaking IN GENERAL, under Kennet / Howard rule Australian politics demonstrated such a cynic approach to decision-making, that recently still continuing programs differ a little from traditionally-oppressing, paternalistic practices in so-called communist and simply authoritarian places, where carrots are perhaps little less sweeter on terms of China-made whitegoods brands only.”

That’s a very big sentence.

In general, under Howard/Kennet rule Australian politics demonstrated such a cynical approach to decision making that existing programs differ little from the oppressing, paternalistic practices traditionally expected of “Communist” ( inverted commas indicating so-called ) and simply authoritarian regimes, the difference being that here things are perhaps a little sweeter because of access to cheap Chinese white goods.

Are you suggesting that we are only marginally better off than those who suffered under Stalin or Mao or Pol Pot?

Is there somewhere you think people are better off than in Australia?

Where do you come from, and what is your native language?
Posted by Paul.L, Thursday, 3 April 2008 4:48:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

Your playing w i t h English testifies to just your mental abilities to comprehend written English-“What was that, PM?”, an article by. Mr.B. McManus in The Herald Sun, 02 April, is, to one's opinion, a very similar example of playing fool by pretending not understanding own native language, while PM K. Rudd expressed his ideas crystal clear to willing to gauge them.

Back to this forum, if even grammatically plain sentences are out of your grasp, what is a point to broaden topic with things you, maybe,had heard somewhere somehow sometimes marginally anyway?
Posted by MichaelK., Thursday, 3 April 2008 7:33:44 PM
MichaelK.

This just reinforces what i have been saying all along. You have twice confused my intentions. The first time two posts back I was criticising you.

In the last post I was actually trying to understand what it was you are saying. I wasn't trying to insult you. When I say your english is poor, I don't mean it as an insult. It is just a statement of fact. Ask anyone on OLO you trust. They'll tell you exactly the same thing.

I don't play dumb or pretend I don't understand.
I honestly can't understand what it is you are trying to say most of the time.

You would do well to write in smaller sentences with words you understand.

Whoever told you that you speak english well was blowing smoke up your arse. I don't think there is anything wrong with not to be able to speak english well. However it does make communication on OLO almost impossible
Posted by Paul.L, Friday, 4 April 2008 1:10:11 PM
Understanding plain English is your problem-please, address it synonymously to MP Kevin Rudd directly.
Posted by MichaelK., Sunday, 6 April 2008 5:01:52 PM
Paul,

I know you are motivated with the best of intentions, but it appears that our friend doesn't want to understand. It's much easier to deny that fault or responsibility lies with oneself rather than others. It's too easy to blame others for one's failures in life. Unfortunately, that's the road that most people take.

All you can do is point out the truth to someone, and that is far more than most people will, out of politeness. You have done all you can. The ball is now in our friend's court. If he doubts what you have told him, he can, as you have said, ask others for their honest opinion. But it's up to him now. Stop wasting more of your time. I'm sure there are others you could speak to who will actually listen.
Posted by AJFA, Sunday, 6 April 2008 5:57:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy