The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The sanctification of JHo > Comments

The sanctification of JHo : Comments

By Jane Caro, published 12/3/2008

One wonders when John Howard will begin the traditional journey of ex-Liberal leaders - from right wing villain to left wing hero.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The sheer fact that Howard associates with, and his lauded by, the right wing psychopaths at the AEI indicates that such a turnabout is impossible.
None of the other former Liberal leaders has ever been so unequivocable in their iron clad "certainty".

Meanwhile in my opinion the psychopaths and barbarians at the AEI --(barbarian and psychopath central) champion all the toxic ideas, practices, and deadly inherently murderous momentums, that MUST be changed to prevent the meltdown of Civilization and the eco-sphere.

As Alasdair MacIntyre told us in After Virtue.

"This time....the barbarians are not waiting beyond the frontiers; they have already been governing for quite some time."
Posted by Ho Hum, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 9:43:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Only difference with Mr Howard is that he does not believe he has ever been wrong. According to him, he lost the last election because voters are stupid. They do not know what is good for them. Howard is like an elephant, in that he has never forgets anything. He spent his whole time as PM getting rid of any legislation bought in since he first was elected over thirty years ago. If he got back in he would have finished off Medicare and taken single parent benefits back to pre Whitlam days.
Posted by Flo, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 10:10:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It hasn't happened yet, and I am not holding my breath either. At present, he is just blowing his own bags, fortunately for him, out of the country, where the consequences of his actions while in government are not understood either.

Unfortunately, the new incumbents look like forgetting why they were elected too.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 10:22:37 AM
Perhaps the recent Matrix series of films is useful here.

In my interpretation John Howard and his fellow "right" thinking "conservatives" are all true believers in the normal seemingly well ordered consensus "reality".

The "world" created by The CON-trollers---the 24/7 media machine.
Orwell's Big Brother and rulers in Huxley's Brave New World.

John Howard in particular could not even to even begin to imagine why anyone would want to take the RED pill to see things differently

He even had his equivalent Agent Smith "reality" enforcer(s) via his attack dogs in the Murdoch press. Ever quick to demolish people like Robert Manne and Malcolm Fraser, and the left-liberal "elites" who consistently pointed out that Emperor JOHNNY had no clothes, and was really a CULTURAL WRECKER.

A wrecker of all the invisible, and mostly unspoken, strands of decency that hold a culture together. Strands that stressed the importance of cooperation as distinct from bottom-line whats in it for me, "self"-interest, and winner take all competition.

Meanwhile (in the film) the REAL situation was pictured in dramatic terms by those living "under-ground" and who were still were much living, breathing, cooperative, and FEELING human beings. And who were very much aware that the MACHINES (read machine anti-"civilization") was rapidly destroying everything ORGANICALLY human (and organic altogether), and was at the point of its final take-over or "victory".

Which IS the crisis point that the world we live is at now, in 2008.

This was very dramatically portrayed in the final battle against the seemingly unstoppable macines. A battle which was inevitably hopeless, except that NEO went on and through the transformative HERO'S Vision Quest and broke the machine induced TRANCE and hence POWER of the CONTROLLERS.

In our world the CONTROLLERS are the benighted ghouls,the money-lenders, at the AEI, who control the 24/7 media/propoganda machine, and who celebrate and champion this machine made and machine dominated "consensus reality" as the pinnacle of "civilisation".

And of course blessed by "jesus" and the christian "god". Never mind that the real Jesus threw the money-lenders out of the temple.
Posted by Ho Hum, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 12:09:07 PM
As a great admirer of John Howard, who will ever be remembered for implementing the will of the people in regard to illegal immigration, I would like to see him elevated by Her Majesty to the Order of the Garter (since a vacancy has conveniently appeared due to the death of Sir Edmund Hillary). If this happens, his ideal title should be Baron Howard of Tampa.

I am fascinated by the fact that the political elite and the media will never acknowledge the primordial instinct of the people that aliens enter this country by leave; that they have no right to enter except that which the people through the government choose to grant; that the entry of aliens without leave constitutes invasion, requiring countermeasures by our armed forces; and that due to the expected explosion of the population of the third world over the next 25 years this will be a major continuing political issue.

Very fortunately we have a sea boundary, and are in a much better position than other countries when it comes to protecting our borders. Coupled with our surplus of food, minerals and energy, and the fact that we are tucked away in an out-of-the-way corner of the world, our prospects of surviving the traumatic decades ahead are second to none.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 12:19:38 PM
I’d love to see JWH morph into something that personifies his worst nightmare – political correctness.

Perhaps something resembling a feminist, tree-hugging, atheist, pacifist, sport-challenged, public-school-teaching union boss, who can never manage to get up early enough to attend either a Dawn Service or a Kirribilli power walk.
Posted by SJF, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 1:32:10 PM
Perhaps he could come out as being gay?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 1:41:56 PM
"As a great admirer of John Howard, who will ever be remembered for implementing the will of the people in regard to illegal immigration, I would like to see him elevated by Her Majesty to the Order of the Garter (since a vacancy has conveniently appeared due to the death of Sir Edmund Hillary). If this happens, his ideal title should be Baron Howard of Tampa." (Quote:plerdsus)

Surely you mean "Barren Coward The -anker"?
Posted by Ginx, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 2:29:17 PM
Jane, the ALP has been moving to the right faster than an Antarctic glacial melt. At current rates just wait 10 years and JWH will be relatively left wing.

As an ALP supporter thru the '80's I say complete the sell off of state owned assets, more independence to the banks and more dentistry for the unions.

And bugger East Timor.
Posted by palimpsest, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 7:54:38 PM
Oh Jane.

Fraser and Kennett left-wing? Please!

I still hate them. The fact that Fraser has the occasional twinges of conscience about liberalism doesn't make him left wing. He is still a ruling class patrician who believes in workers being in their place.

Kennett is much the same. Bad men can do good works.

Howard's speech proves to me that bad men can also continue to argue in favour of their previous bad works.

Just because they are on different levels in hell doesn't make any of them good.

And we should have no illusions in the HowRuddistas either - the bastard Labor sons and daughters of Howard will continue his work with nuance and subtlety.
Posted by Passy, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 8:12:19 PM
Wow, SJ, you're mean. I love it.
Passy does have a point. There is historical evidence to suggest that Fraser has stood still, as both the Libs and Labour has allemanded right. In fact, more than one commentator has suggested Fraser today would be more comfortable in the Modern Labour Party, than with the libs.
Certainly more comfortable than King O'mally, and a host of others (self included).
The irony is Nationals/ liberals talking of merger.
I foresee a time when right wing libs merge with labour, and left wing labourites merge with the greens.
Currently, the libs are fast becoming redundant.
Posted by Grim, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 8:29:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the Nats had any brains (doubtful), they would form a coalition with Labor. They don't have a lot in common with the neocons in the Liberal party.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 9:04:22 PM
I will be very interested to see how history treats the Rodent. We have not seen his like before - repudiated at the polls and, with astonishing speed and thoroughness, by his own party. It makes you wonder what held them together for so long.

I will always think of him as a politician who plumbed the depths and brought out the worst in Australians - all the meanness and spite which bubbled up on his watch was truly shameful. Perhaps East Timor and his response to Port Arthur will enable him to morph into something less reviled one day, but without a cheer squad on either side of politics it could be a long time coming.
Posted by Candide, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 10:02:44 PM
Like him or hate him at least Mr Howard has always been consistent in his beliefs. Mr Rudd who promised to manage the economy, continue to support private schooling, do something constructive with the aboriginal issues is looking a lot more left leaning already. Already symbols are replacing any substance and Ms Gillard's philosophies are becoming evident. At last Mr Rudd has maintained his promise on not recognizing same sex marriage. How long he will take to bow to the lefties who knows. I hope he proves me wrong.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 12 March 2008 10:43:28 PM
Few of us will be around in 50 years I have little doubt the short man will not be treated well by history.
He will be remembered as a bloke who both had too much confidence in himself and far too little for his opponents.
As a man who thought more of himself than his party.
And a man who crawled to the worst leader the united states of America ever had or will have.
Enjoy America John you continue to give me great joy.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 13 March 2008 5:21:15 AM
No, JCa, I think Howard won’t stoop to Fraser’s level, or Whitlam’s, Keating’s & Hawke’s for that matter – who post-leadership cried treaty & sorry re the Aborigines but never did it themselves in all that time they had. What were they doing the when they had the chance? (Well Hawke was busy dismantling the unions, & as former ACTU boss, that’s funny, so him we can forgive)

All the other suggestions you raise, I suggest you go do them. The left was born to do that sort of stuff. Trouble is, so few of them actually do it. Put your laptop on stand-by & you do something about Aboriginal health care by living in an Aboriginal outback community etc. That’s if JCa could be bothered.
Posted by KGB, Friday, 14 March 2008 4:22:24 AM
KGB,
It never ceases to amaze me how those who were in a position to change the situation relentlessly criticize those who did improve the situation despite round-the-clock interference of the former.
John Howard did achieve a lot of good for this country. Admittely, as the left keeps reminding us of, a lot of the wealth came from natural resources but, is the Rudd outfit going to stop mining to prove it can run an economy better than the Howard gang ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 14 March 2008 6:42:43 AM
The Rodent achieved one 'good' thing. He gave the pendulum such an abrupt swing to the right that its swing back in the other direction can only have been hastened.
Posted by ex_liberal_voter, Saturday, 15 March 2008 11:48:41 AM
And the other mob won't be able to resist the temptation to push it too far to the left and we will be back where we started from - sans little Johnny et al. (pardon the mixture of French and Latin)

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Saturday, 15 March 2008 11:45:06 PM
Sez who? For the pendulum to return to a position to where another rightward swing was warranted, it would first have to move from its current position as the furthest to the right in living memory, back through the centre, then into left territory, ala Whitlam. Are you saying "the other mob" will push it that far back when you say they:

"won't be able to resist the temptation to push it too far to the left"?

What do you consider "too far to the left"?
Posted by ex_liberal_voter, Sunday, 16 March 2008 6:26:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy