The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Symbolic and practical governance > Comments

Symbolic and practical governance : Comments

By Peter van Vliet, published 25/3/2008

2020 summit: with one party in power across all state and federal jurisdictions we have a rare opportunity for some serious reform.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I have long held the view that there is considerable overlap between state and federal governance and that the delineation of power needs to be clear. I also concur that the world seems closer than ever, with the ubiquitous nature of multi-media.

Nevertheless there are significant social and economic shifts occurring within our environment which may impact upon this debate. For instance: climate change, the rising costs of living, the shortage of affordable housing, our reliance on petrol, the inadequacy of public transport, the spread of the metropolis… What does our future really look like? Will it necessary be as ‘global’ as we presume? Or will we need to localize and reinvent our cities into smaller sub centers throughout the suburbs to better serve business and community interests?

Every State faces a unique set of challenges in relation to these issues. Will the Federal Government be able to represent the interests of state populations adequately as we strive to become more sustainable?

It may have been a different set of circumstances which underpinned the division of federal and state powers when our constitution was first written, but let us consider the benefit of such division in light of the new challenges this larger population now face.

My sincere condolences to you Peter on the passing of John
Posted by Balthus, Tuesday, 25 March 2008 2:49:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some false assumptions, Peter. The states are still parochial and suspicious, and are driven by sectional rather than national interests. And their governments do not consist of the "best and brightest;" far from it.

As for the republic, I have not seen a convincing case that our lives would be in any way enhanced by such a change. It remains a tenth-order issue which is not deserving of attention.
Posted by Faustino, Tuesday, 25 March 2008 4:05:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy