The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Future thinking > Comments

Future thinking : Comments

By Howard Glenn, published 3/3/2008

The 2020 Summit is a big gesture which says clearly that we have permission to start thinking about the future again.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Kevin Rudd’s 2020 talkfest is unlikely to be any different from Bob Hawke’s Summit: a lot of talk, a lot of cost, but nothing at the end of it.

Prime Ministers and Ministers have many expensive advisers to help them. There seems little point in paying these Mandarins if Governments feel the need to seek advice from 1,000 people unlikely to have anything in common with most of us – Cate Blanchett being a case in point.

Kevin Rudd made clear what he intended to do if elected. He has been elected; now he should get on with his ‘promises’ and his own ideas as he has been mandated to do
Posted by Mr. Right, Monday, 3 March 2008 9:49:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Howard you are much more optimistic than myself. Me I'll beleive it when I see it.

Having seen alot of political deception tricks, I strongly doubt that the leopard will change its spots.
Posted by JamesH, Monday, 3 March 2008 10:56:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I share the author's optimism. Regardless of anything else the summit achieves, it has people thinking about where we might go from here, and what we might do instead of what we won't do.

Even the complaints from 'ordinary' people are a good thing. They're wanting to put in their two bob's worth, wanting to be heard, which is a vast improvement on opting out and watching telly instead. Whether we agree or disagree is not as important as the fact that we're talking and participating in our own futures.
Posted by chainsmoker, Monday, 3 March 2008 11:23:26 AM
The cacophony of special pleading resumes when the rent-seekers think that THEIR party is in.

Naturally they began to STFU in 1996 when they realised that their 'unique' claim on moral superiority no longer got them access to power. The author himself realised it was a complete waste of life, and stopped going to conferences independent of any takeover by Johnhitlerburton HoWARd.

That isn't a People regaining Hope in Participative Democracy. Its a bunch of camp followers, hungry awhile with a losing army but now greedily anticipating the pay after cheering 'their' side to victory.
Posted by ChrisPer, Monday, 3 March 2008 11:34:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Right,
Hawke's Summit led to much improvement in the relationship between employers and employed. It led to the Accord, which was a significant and constructive part of economic policy.
Posted by Ron H, Monday, 3 March 2008 11:37:20 AM
I too share the optimism of Howard. Having survived the Sinister Prime Minister, we need to put down some of our shields, unclench our fists and let down our guard enough to dream again together. The Rudd Government's gesture is grand. Let's rise to the occasion of the Australia 2020 Summit.
Posted by Tomess, Monday, 3 March 2008 12:03:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy