The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gender, climate change and natural disasters > Comments

Gender, climate change and natural disasters : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 4/2/2008

The effects, direct and indirect, of natural disasters are much greater for women compared with men.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Tradie, you forgot to add that men die more than women because we, in out quest for world domination, kill them.

*maniacal laughter*

*fade out*
Posted by Vanilla, Wednesday, 6 February 2008 7:17:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
trade, it is a big IF.

If climate change is happening, then I doubt very strongly that it is a result of human activity. If one looks at the history of the planet, climate change has been a part of this planets history before man walked the earth. Australia was once much wetter than it is now.

I strongly suspect that for example if a world wide calamity happened, the women that Kellie Tranter wants to educate will have a greater chance of survival than the modern western woman or man for that matter.

Human beings who have survival skills are most likely to be the ones most adapted for survival in the case of a world wide calamity.

If I had to choose a partner in a world wide calamity it definitely would be one who knew how to grow food, sew and all those other little skills.
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 6 February 2008 9:02:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whitty, it's a shame you so simplify my position on how society is and the role of both men and women.

That aside, hasn't OLO milked the 'gender issue' enough? It is getting quite boring. Surely there are some articles out there from a man's perspective? I for one would be most interested. I have two young men as sons.

As to the article itself, I tend to agree with JamesH. He made some salient points.

It really is rather irrelevant whether climate change affects either gender more. Wouldn't make it any more or less serious an issue.

As Yabby, as always a pragmatic and sensible voice, points out: we need each other, even if women only make the sandwiches and pour the lemonade for the hunky male firies.
Posted by yvonne, Wednesday, 6 February 2008 9:19:36 PM
Things we’ve built for their comfort, enjoyment, consumption, and yes, sometimes even just to impress them … none of it counts for very much.

"Okay, so you're a rocket scientist
That don't impress me much
So you got the brain but have you got the touch
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night
That don't impress me much”

How could we have disregarded Shania Twain as a feminist philosopher she clearly was. Arguably, she could be credited with fewest words ever used in a politically sensitive surmise of male power:

“Oh-oo-oh, you think you're special
Oh-oo-oh, you think you're something else”

Was it perhaps because we’ve forgotten to correctly apply “the touch”, that created Feminism and its accompanying myriad of female angst?

Okay, so you want to teach me hiking and survival techniques
That don't impress me much
So you want to take me camping in your big tent
Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night
That don't impress me much…

Oh-oo-oh, you think you're special
Oh-oo-oh, you think you're something else
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 6 February 2008 9:57:30 PM
'Whitty, it's a shame you so simplify my position on how society is and the role of both men and women. '
I tell it as I see it. Though I may be simple.

'That aside, hasn't OLO milked the 'gender issue' enough? It is getting quite boring. Surely there are some articles out there from a man's perspective? '

This is exactly what I complain about the most. We have had the following topics absolutely contorted to be about feminism, or further women as victims at the hands of men...

Corey Worthington - I don't even know where to start on how ridiculous this article was

Bra Boys - Probably the worst example. Basically all I got from the article was how dare there be a movie about men, without discussing their effects on women.

Australia Day cringe - Well I suppose it was from Audrey

Now this one on climate change.

I envisage a world of the future. Girls are entering university at a much higher ratio than boys, and this will accelerate. There will be a splitting of the workforce, with men doing the blue collar work, women doing the white collar work.

It will then make economic sense for men to stay at home and raise the children as their partners will be the better paid in white collar jobs.

Women will then march in the streets citing that they have been taken away their maternal right to raise their children, and that men don't understand women's burden of being economic provider for the family.

The new wave of feminism will fight the oppression of this patriachical society, as men call all the shots in the home, and being the carers get custody of the children in divorce. The poor women are just being used as incubators to give men children, and are then forced to go out after birth and work 12 hour days and never see their children.
Posted by Whitty, Thursday, 7 February 2008 9:06:16 AM
Vanilla, that reminds me of that joke

Why do most men die before their wives...
Because they want to.

As in my future world above, I think it wouldn't matter what role women had in society, they will never be happy with their lot, and will always be very vocal about it. It is perhaps men's folly that they have tried too hard to make women happy.
Posted by Whitty, Thursday, 7 February 2008 9:28:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy