The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The nation that hangs together hangs together > Comments

The nation that hangs together hangs together : Comments

By Roger Migently, published 16/1/2008

America, unmoved by public opinion in civilised countries, is one of a dwindling number of nations practising judicial murder.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yeah, yeah. Capital punishment is judicial murder. And imprisonment is judicial kidnapping. So what?

The same old, tired arguments...
Posted by grn, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 11:38:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kidnapping is reversable.
Posted by wizofaus, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 12:41:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If politicians were to act in accordance with their electorates wishes, we would see a return of the death penalty in an instant.

Unfortunately, none of the whimps have the balls to make it so.

We are locked in this pseudo-world of criminal nicety where murders and worse are pandered too day by day, unrepentant to the suffering they have caused and contemptible of the system which confines them in a “lifestyle” to the cell which they occupy, until some limp-wristed do-gooder suggest they start to show contrition because a parole hearing is visible on the horizon.

So the butchers and the killers suffer their incarceration whilst they explain how they are misunderstood or how they were spanked for wetting the bed when a kid and that explains taking another’s life.

Their victims have no paroles looming on the horizon.
Their victims have no cell walls to beat against.
No do-gooder is going to come visit with the victim and listen to their complaints.

For my input to this I will support the reintroduction of the death penalty.

But I would modify its legal application.

I can understand how, in the heat of emotion, someone could kill someone else unintentionally and be genuinely remorseful.

I can equally understand how a drug dealer trades the life of his “client” for callous and cold personal profit.

The modification is simple.

Second conviction illegal drug trafficking offences should carry a mandatory death sentence.

And to all the bleeding hearts who insist such an action would not necessarily deter other drug traffickers, that is a side issue. At least this one multiple drug-dealing killer will never return to prey on the dependency of others again
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 2:47:59 PM
Col, much simpler solution: if all drugs were treated like nicotine and alcohol, there would be no drug-related murders. Legalisation of recreational drugs is one side of libertarian philosophy I fully agree with.

BTW, do you honestly believe that death is a worse punishment than life imprisonment? If I had a choice (and I knew I was guilty), I'd choose death anyday.
Posted by wizofaus, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 3:03:29 PM
Calling countries that murder thousands of unborn is certainly not civilised. Funny how many who support making conditions favourable to murder the unborn scream the loudest when it comes to putting paedophiles or multi murderers to death! Some of the European countries that appeared 'civilised' are far from it, Australia included. Being a 'civilised country' is a useless term used to push ones own opinion.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 4:21:08 PM
I'd have more faith in Roger's sincerity if he'd used more reasoned argument than mere sarcasim and generalisation. To compare the US to China is wrong. While Capital Punishment is practised in both China doesn't have anywhere near the same judicial processes. The Federal US government doesn't practice Capital Punishment. It is within the sphere of individual states Legislatures.

As an aside I figure this commentator realises this fact because he didn't lay the odium at the feet of the current US president. But with his obvious anti US bias I'll bet he'll bring up his history as Governor of Texas.

Also the author doesn't consider the extra judicial executions carried out across much of Africa.

As usual with the anti-US mob it's always the US who attracts most criticism. While I am critical of the practice of Capital Punishment in some states of the US at least in many of those states the subject is open to discussion and revision. The author should realise the US has the most free and liberal democracy in the world and because of this it is naturally held to a higher standard than the tinpot regimes doing most of the 'legal and illegal' killing. But be accurate please, attacking innocents in most US States doesn't help the cause.

The only debate raging is in the free media of the western world. There is little dissent in most of the tinpot dictatorships who practice Capital Punishment. The UN is the forum where we should see this issue as a raging debate. Why don't we see that?

Perhaps the author might find a way of bring the issue to the attention of that mob.

I am against all capital punishment especially in Indonesia where it is about to raise common murderers to the status of Martyr.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 5:58:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy