The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A year of wedges among the multicultural success stories > Comments

A year of wedges among the multicultural success stories : Comments

By Tom Calma, published 13/12/2007

As we look back we see it was not a good year for our globally praised multiculturalism.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The trivial incident in Lindsay does not need to be reflected on, as Tom Calma claims, nor does it have any connection with “…Arabic speaking people being subjected to a different questioning regime when seeking permanent visas”, or Dr. Haneef.

As Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner and acting Race Discrimination Commissioner, Calma has in interest in beating the ‘racist’ drum – it keeps him in a job, and might even get him the Race Commissioners position permanently if he keeps on beating the drum.

Calma’s “…increasingly acceptable and politically licensed practice in which the race card was played to garner political support from segments of the community” is absolute nonsense. With enforced multiculturalism and repression of freedom of speech, the exact opposite is true. The “segments of the community” he talks about get no say at all, and he is happy to have the situation made worse, if possible, by further dogmatism from the multiculturalists.

When, on rare occasions a government does respond to public opinion, it is, according to Calma, capitalising “…on people’s fears and insecurities.” What a piece of arrogant racist crap! Australians, like anyone else, are quite entitled to have reservations about any immigrants, and governments have duty to take that into account, although they rarely do, being too busy sucking up to ‘world opinion’ and the likes of Tom Calma.

As a member of a race forever bellyaching about the British invasion of ‘their’ country, Calma has one hell of a cheek criticising white Australians for objecting to immigrants who have nothing at all in common with the host population. Perhaps he sees non-white immigrants as potential allies in the fight against whites. The aboriginal prison population is known to gravitate to prisoners of Middle Easter origin.

Continued……
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 13 December 2007 9:56:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
…continued

Calma claims that multiculturalism has worked well over the past two decades. He wants us to believe that because it is in his own, paid, interests. Multiculturalism has been a total failure here and internationally. Only separation of the hotchpotch of races in Australia has kept the peace, so far. We should be saying: despite multiculturalism, we have been lucky or, more correctly, the easy-going nature of Anglo Australians has kept the lid on the nastiness which has occurred overseas, where host populations take more interest in the well-being of their countries that we do.

White Australia and the white Western world have indulged the likes of Tom Calma to their own detriment. Non-whites are the real racists, as we shall discover as we continue commit cultural suicide at the behest of a Third World dominated United Nations and a few European pansies.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 13 December 2007 9:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

" Multiculturalism in Australia is the cornerstone for such a program. As a policy of community harmony it has worked well over the past two decades, replacing the failed policy of assimilation. It was and remains our most successful anti-racism strategy; it needs ongoing support and reinvigoration so that it can meet the new challenges that a culturally diverse society continues to present."

Unquote

I have been and continue to be a firm supporter of Multiculturism since it's inception during the Immigration Ministerial office of Ian McPhee in the Fraser Government.

I agree with much of Tom Calma's article, however,I believe that the 'assimilation' policy as such referred primarily to Government intentions towards the Aboriginal population.

Multiculturism has not been of benefit to Aboriginal Communities.
To our undying shame, mainstream australia is eager to utilise Aboriginal Culture and Art to woo tourist to Australia who all want to leave with a didgeridoo or other artefact as a souvenir yet we continue to marginalise our Aboriginal people by moving their living areas such as 'one mile dam' within 1 mile of the Darwin CBD because their presence do not fit the desired image,or move on aboriginal campers such as David Gulpilil when they choose to camp under the stars as they have done all their lives on the fringe of the City.

Perhaps this is an anomaly that Tom Calma should address to act against such discrimination so we might truly become a multicultural Country.

Meanwhile the 'white supremacist' rantings of olo contributor
'Leigh' clearly indicate We have a long way to go if we are not to become a racially intolerant society where racists gather in white sheets and pointed white hoods concealing their identities to lynch blacks.
Posted by maracas, Thursday, 13 December 2007 1:21:10 PM
caracas and Tom Calma get a grip. People are far more robust than you give them credit for.

Today I employed 2 new teams of tradesmen, one Aboriginal and the other Moslem Turkish Cypriot. They will be judged on their production and their will be plenty of banter. Some of it on race lines.

I daily deal on an intimate level at work with Fijian Indians,Anglos, Lebanese,Dutch, Italians,Chinese,Greeks and who knows how many others.

This is reality, and those who want to harp on about racism in Australia do not know sh@t from Shinola when it comes to the real world.

The Fijian Indian thinks the Chinese a joke who thinks whitey bludges who laugh at the Allah blokes who sneers at the the poncy Italians who.........et bloody cetera. And all get on just fine.

Graham Y and whoever give us a break from this topic, so Boaz etc and Morgan etc can show us another side of themselves.

EG the Drones- our current great rock band or Nolans exhibition at the NSW Art Gall., or why Bob Dylan is great; or why 'look' is a verb, and what that implies....et bloody cetera
Posted by palimpsest, Thursday, 13 December 2007 7:53:22 PM
FASCINATING STUFF.....

<<we have an obligation to ensure that government policy provides a strong and sustainable social framework to fight racism, xenophobia and discrimination, as well as promote social cohesion and community relationships.

Multiculturalism in Australia is the cornerstone for such a program. As a policy of community harmony it has worked well over the past two decades, replacing the failed policy of assimilation. It was and remains our most successful anti-racism strategy>>

WORKED WELL/SOCIAL COHESIAN? Macquarie Fields, Cronulla, 'Lebo Thugs' type videos on youtube, Child raped by 10 men due to 'cultural' nuances.. 'white' guilt? come ON....

Sooooo.. assimilation has failed? in the very next breath, the author says:

"52% of all marriages were across ethnic/cultural lines" err..sounds pretty 'assimilative' to me.

Dare I say it ...again? "ONE NATION, ONE CULTURE, ONE RACE" yep.. sounds like it's happening with 52% of us. Great stuff. Can anyone imagine that in all those marriages, each individual culture is being clung to? and that both cultures are being passed on to the kids? (who would be quite confused if they did)

One one hand he is saying "Lets nourish diversity" then on the other
"Diversity is dissappearing" through intermarraige.

Encouraging diversity DIScourages intermarriage.

MULTI-CULTURALISM IS WEDGE POLITICS.
creating more division and difference. Creating barriers between people groups.. emphasising "We are not you, and you are not us" is WEDGE politics. Farrrr better to say "We" are all Australians...and let nature take it's course.

It stands to reason and common sense, that if there happens to be a large majority of a particular cultural group, that those from other cultures will be absorbed, and that in being absorbed, they will also enrich the prevailing culture, as Yeast is to a dough mix, and the end result is much more pleasing.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 14 December 2007 7:32:44 AM
ARABIC SPEAKING PEOPLE? I have a feeling that this might be more "Arabic speaking people who are Muslim"? if not, it should be.

TOM.. knock knock..is anyone there? "Hello/Coeee"

If you feel that Arabic speaking Muslims don't require some additional scrutiny then my friend..your knowledge about Islam and its history is sadly lacking.

Hitler spoke of a 1000 yr riech... and this is fine as long as he limits himself to Germany, does not attack anyone, and uses it for political rhetoric of a harmless nature. UN.....fortunately, history tells us that was not the case.

"The Fatherland will reign over a 1000 yr Riech"
"The world and all that is in it belongs to Allah and his Apostle"

Can you spot the difference? I can't!

"Our religion requires us to carry a concealed deadly weapon...to school, on busses, at airports" (Sikhs)
any problem?

"My religion calls for me to carry a 12 guage shotgun, in case some other bloke is carrying a knife" (ex bouncer at gym last night)

"My religion allows sexual relations between old men or old women and young male or female children" (Children of God...60s)

I would be thanking GOD Almighty Tom, that at the root and heart of the Christian traditions, there are values like

-"The meek shall inherit the earth"
-"Blessed are the peacemakers"
-"As the Father has sent me, so I send you"
-"Come to me all who labor and are burdened down, and I will give you rest"
-"He who would be first among you must become the servant of all"
-"Honour your father and mother"

No matter how far our modern society has departed from these beautiful values, they remain as huge golden nuggets to be rediscovered and re-applied.
There are no "knives" no "defend the messenger of Allah with our lives" no "fight those who do not believe in Allah...until they are subjected, humiliated"

Nope..nothing like that.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 14 December 2007 7:46:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy